Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2014 00:00

NMO vs. NMDA, passing of parameters

We're using NMO 4.5/5.0 since years and wanted to switch to NMDA.

Is there an easy way to pass the "saveset" command via NMDA module to the pre_command script?

Within NMO, we simply exported the "backup_command_line" from nsrnmo_xxx script and passed this line to pre_command, where we could extract the ORACLE_SID.

Background: We are using a lot of database backups in one client definition with one nsrnmo backup command and I don't want to define similar config files where only the SID is changing resp. to define one backup client for each database backup.

Any help would be appreciated.

14.3K Posts

June 24th, 2014 01:00

Newer NMDA versions support grouping of parameters (see manual) which will get you the closest to what you want. I have similar setup, but I use separate files... and it is matter of couple of seconds to create those since you can just parse oratab and you use default template to build configuration files needed (change on NW side can be automated with nsradmin using regular expressions).

14.3K Posts

June 24th, 2014 04:00

I personally group them - but I do that for my own reasons (because I need to have clear $$$ overview of data and owner, I separate DB backups by separate group, separate logs, etc - even when they are all on the same host which is something we have as our RAC hotel environments host up to 70 databases).  As we use database hotels, we use common (same) RMAN scripts for all DBs hosted by hotel so I do not have issue as you do (in case that you databases around the different hosts). As for nmda config file, grouping I would per ORACLE_HOME level as chances are this is most common thing when running DBs on the same host.

7 Posts

June 24th, 2014 04:00

Thank you for your answer.

If I understood you right, do you have a separate backup client for each database - or do you group the databases with same Oracle version, located on one server into one saveset?

I know there are many ways to configure it, but the optimum for my >100 databases was to use one pre/post script, one backup-database RMAN script - the same for all clients and managed centrally - and one configuration script per backup client. This minimized the effort and complexity and I hoped to switch to new NMDA version on all sites within hours.

If time available, I will study the manual to get a similar sophisticated solution - if ever possible.

No Events found!