Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 13th, 2013 08:00

NW Server V7.6.4 - Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 upgrade question

I currently have a modest-sized NW Server V7.6.4 running on Solaris 9. I want to upgrade to Solaris 10 in preparation to moving to NW V8.1.x.

The existing Solaris 9-based system has NW Server, Storage Node and Client installed and a 1TB local adv_file (some systems backup direct to disk) and has a 100-slot tape library directly attached.

Is there a "best approach" for upgrading to Solaris 10? At this point, I am thinking my approach should be:

1. Force stage of all savesets from adv_file device to tape.
  2. Run FULL backup of my server to tape.
  3. Build virgin Solaris 10 on same server iron from scratch.
  4. Do a "disaster recovery" to restore Networker onto the new Solaris 10 platform.
  5. Restore all of the other files/directories that were not part of Networker.
  6. At some later point, upgrade NW from V7.6.4 to V8.1.x.

Comments/suggestions welcome...

Thanks!

LR

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

December 13th, 2013 08:00

Ensure you have a valid contract with EMC as you will have to get auth codes for your update enablers.

--- Original Message ---

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

December 14th, 2013 15:00

I really don't think you need mmrecov since you can install server again once Solaris 10 installation is done and the just copy back whole /nsr.  I also don't think your hostid will change unless you change IP address.

7 Posts

December 26th, 2013 10:00

I really don't think you need mmrecov since you can install server again once Solaris 10 installation is done and the just copy back whole /nsr.  I also don't think your hostid will change unless you change IP address.

Yeah, I kind of like that approach. IP address and hostname will not be changing.

With just a little rework, I'll have my /nsr directory on a "non-system" disk, and then a Solaris 10 install won't impact Networker files at all.

Thanks!

Ensure you have a valid contract with EMC as you will have to get auth codes for your update enablers.

Thank you for the reminder... I usually forget all about that.

LR

7 Posts

December 26th, 2013 12:00

Here is some useful info if any Solaris admin is looking at an upgrade from Solaris 9 (disks mirrored with SVM) to a Solaris 10 system (using ZFS mirrored disks):

Upgrading From Solaris 9 With a Root SVM Mirror to Solaris 10 With a Root ZFS Mirror With Less Than 10 Minutes of Downtime

I've used this method in the past with great success.

LR

No Events found!