Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2009 16:00

NetWorker CIFS performance fixed!!!

For those who are not aware, we have had an issue out there for a wjhile where we perform poorly when writing over a CIFS mounts as compared to NFS mounts. This manifested itself more obviously when writing to a Data Domain box.

Well, we have a fix available for the 7.4.4, 7.5 SP1 and is included in the new 7.6 release. We are seeing over a 100% performance increase in most cases so I'd encourage you to get this.

Please contact your Technical Consultant or Account rep or drop me a message and I'll help you obtain what you need to take advantage.

Cheers all!

Steve

11 Posts

November 11th, 2009 12:00

As Steve said, you need patch which is available for your NW version.

November 11th, 2009 11:00

Steve,

We are on Networker 7.4.4 and still see performance problem backing up to DD over a CIFS share.  Is there something that need to be configured on the dedicated storage node to boost the performance.  We currently get about 10 MB/sec on a gigE link.

78 Posts

No worries. It is rolled into core of NetWorker 7.6 but for releases previous to that you will require the patch.

Also- it is worth mentioning that after installing the patch, to get the perf fix, you will need to relabel your AFTD. So think about creating a second AFTD after the fix is applied and labeling it. Start to send the new backups to that device and clone the older ones over if you need them there. There are many ways to manage this but just be aware of that requirement. (The relabel is due to the enhanced nsrnnmd process).

Thanks.  I misread, thought it was fixed in 7.4.4.  I will call support for patch.

Thanks for the information about the AFTD.  I will create new one and start backups to it.  I will probably just let the backups expire on the old device and then delete it.

42 Posts

November 12th, 2009 14:00

Hello,

A knowledge base article has been created for this issue and is available on Powerlink.  It includes download and installation instructions as well as how to recreated the aftd for optimal performance:  http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg109294.

HTH
Debbie

November 13th, 2009 04:00

Debbie,

Is this viewable only by EMC employees?  I get an error when I select the link.  I opened a case on Wednesday to get the patch.  I have not heard back yet, so I will probably ping them again today.

14.3K Posts

November 13th, 2009 04:00

I think there might be an issue with viewing solutions... as I get errors viewing pages even for hits when searching them from PL KB search.

78 Posts

November 16th, 2009 20:00

For those who can't get to the link I have attached the .pdf formatted file. Please read through and if you have any questions at all please let us know or give Support a shout.

Cheers,
Steve

1 Attachment

No Events found!