Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2011 03:00

Networker 7.6.2 : DD devices target session for RMAN backup

Hi ,is setting target session on DDdevice to 1 mandatory for RMAN backup? I hope it isn't...
thx in advance
-Nicola

14.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 14:00

Target session is not limiting number... max sessions is.  With dedupe you wish to avoid multiplexing to get better dedupe ration so I guess this is why recommended values are such as they are (for all de-dupe appliances).  As with VTLs, nothing stops you to create bunch of DD devices thus this issue stops to be the the issue (given that dedupe ration is global anyway and not per device).

October 26th, 2011 00:00

My question arises from this doubt:Networker by design on the same storage node with several devices (with several target session) uses the minum target session value for all the devices. So if i have some constraints for RMAN i've to create a dedicated storagenode using for example DataDomain Devices with DDboost.

14.3K Posts

October 26th, 2011 10:00

I'm not 100% if with DD Boost same applies as I didn't work with it.

October 26th, 2011 11:00

this monday i've added to a storagenode with 10physical deevices (target session 18) one DDdevice DDboost (target session 4). All devices (physical too) on that storage node ,during the night, has worked with target session 4 with a big number of mounting requests

14.3K Posts

October 26th, 2011 12:00

Target session 18 on physical device?  Why?  Did you ever try restore from such multiplexed backup?

Ok, back to your thing... that sounds as some sort of bug.  I know similar rule applies to clients and parallelism (that sucks), but it should not to devices per storage node.  The best thing would be to open a ticket with support to investigate this and try to replicate it.

October 27th, 2011 00:00

Hi i've found following doc on powerlink:

esg110481 and esg107989

No Events found!