Start a Conversation

Unsolved

9 Posts

September 24th, 2018 04:00

Networker 8.2.1 - migrating tape index to new server

All,

I am wishing to migrate my old Networker 8.2.1.4 server to new hardware.

The existing setup comprises the following:

1 x Networker server

2 x Networker servers as proxies

1 x 45 tape library.

The new setup consists of:

1 x Networker server

1 x LTO6 tape drive (single drive standalone)

We are now no longer using Networker as we've moved to another solution.  I need to keep the tapes for 2 years due to retention, and thus, be able to restore for the next 2 years.

I am after how I go about the following:

Install Netwoker on the new server and make it appear as the old system with ALL the index files for the tapes in tact.  So, I will just be able to fire up a restore session and it will tell me which tape it needs.

I'm happy to rename the new server to the same as the old one.

I did copy across all of the data but then it was showing me the tape library with 3 drives instead of the new one etc and the disk array which is no longer attached so thought I would seek professional help!

Thanks in advance.

2.4K Posts

September 24th, 2018 21:00

This is the general procedure:

-  use the same hostname

-  run a DR (bootstrap recovery) + file index recovery or copy the appropriate directories

-  disable/delete all unnecessary resources

-  correct your resources as necessary (for example: storage node lists)

-  ensure that the OS 'sees' the new tape drive

-  configure your single tape drive in NW

-  apply for new auth codes as your hostid is different

This should be it.

I just hope that your new tape drive is capable to read the old tapes.

What I do not understand is "2 x Networker servers as proxies". Are you talking about storage nodes?

173 Posts

September 24th, 2018 23:00

Important question is, what is NetWorker version on new server, NetWorker server 9.x do not support Exchange backup directly to tape, also VADP backup of vmware ends in 9.0….

Lukas Slabihoudek

+420773748000

September 25th, 2018 00:00

Bingo,

Proxies – I did indeed mean storage nodes, apologies!

The OS sees the new tape drive on the server and Networker sees it. It is an LTO6 and the tapes are LTO5 so they can be read with no issues.

When I copied the directories last time, it brought across all the devices I didn’t want, i.e. Data Domain, tape library and I didn’t seem to be able to get shot of them.

It was also telling me I needed to configure the “new” Networker server with a storage node – I could find no way to do that.

I have the new authid codes ready to go..

September 25th, 2018 00:00

The new server will have exactly the same version as specified – 8.2.1(.4).

I’m talking about building a server to allow me to do restores only for historic reasons, it will be doing no backups at all so not sure why you think I will be backing up Exchange.. or mentioning VADP.

2.4K Posts

September 26th, 2018 07:00

Actually the storage node resource will be created automatically once you create a remote device.

And the NW server is a storage node by itself because it must have one local drive attached to backup the bootstrap.

Of course if you copy the resources without deleting unnecessary ones first, NW does expect you have the exact same environment (it is like a DR/bootstrap recovery).

No Events found!