Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2016 01:00

Networker 8.2.3 Exchange Best practices

Hi,

We're using Nw 8.2.3.3 on 18 DAGS , we do backup with NMM and we're facing big issues with GLR

During all time trying to get the best form our environment , we've moved 1 Data Domain nic and 1 Networker NIC to Exchange VLAN

We've also considered to put a dedicated server, but we're not sure how it will behave with deduplication and old backups.

After opening an SR with EMC we're using NSR_EXCH_CHECK=YES on our full long retention backups, so we do 5 incr + 2 fulls each week.

NSR_EXCH_CHECK=YES doesn't behave well on some dags and backup fail after 48 h, so another SR with EMC suggested to launch backups right after exchange finished data base defrag, so vss snap should be healthy that time.

These are my concerns :

What is the Best practice to be sure backups are consistent ?

How do you face this in your environments?

To add to this GLR may work on 2 server , but same save restore may fail on other 12, I found nwfs path affected that but I'm stilll facin issues.

Did any of you face this issues ? did any of you move forward to NW 9 and found more reliability ?

January 24th, 2017 04:00

There can be many issues at play over here, but if backups are stuck after some time, one thing you can do is to move Logs and exchange database on different LUNS on storage end, which really increases the backup throughput.
What is your exchange version... and size of exchange DB?

With NetWorker 9, you shall take Block Based backups of exchange, which should be faster than the normal approach, but keeping Database and Logs should always be on different LUNS.

53 Posts

January 24th, 2017 06:00

I would like to suggest you to upgrade NMM 9.1 / NW 9.1for the better performance;  You can actually leverage DD along with BBB using NW 9.1

Thanks,

Elango C

No Events found!