Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 26th, 2007 11:00

Networker Console Client?

I would like staff in Operations to be able to recovers from thier own workstations. Backup Exec has always had a "console only" install choice that allows an operator access to the console from their desktop.

They all access networker with the java/web interface, but to do restores, don't they have to use Networker User? That means they have to RDC into the machine to get to Networker User and only admins can do that. Backup Exec allows full functionality of everything at the Operator's Desktop including any recovers.

Are recovers at all possible at the Networker server using the GUI?

724 Posts

June 26th, 2007 12:00

You have to use Networker User. You can select a client with Nw installed and enable RDC access to that client, or you can install Nw in each workstation. You'll have to set up at least one client instance for each workstation, but I believe this will not use client connection licenses, as recover does not use licenses. But you'll have to look at a lot of security issues you may have, and also have a lot of work to configure Remote Access and servers file to enable this to work properly.

If you have tons of clients and a lot of staff users you wish to grant recover permission, I hope someone here gives you a better solution to do this than mine. :)

Anyway, recover is also a great security issue, so you should be careful when giving this permission to a lot of people.

23 Posts

June 26th, 2007 12:00

I was afraid of that. I hate that Networker splits up backups and recoveries. It should all be able to be done at the networker server. It's so clunky! It's one of the many little inconveniences that make me regret choosing networker over Netbackup.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 26th, 2007 13:00

Few years ago I was at the site with similar requirements. All ops had their wks listed and allowed to do administrative recovers - that worked fine even eventually did get them in trouble with Wintel team and Win permissions so at the end Wintel team ended up running certain recovers using specially created user for that. From server you can also do recovers, but probably not those you are after. Another approach is to have restore node which was also an option we were considering (especially handy when playing with ssid recovers).
No Events found!