Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2015 09:00

Networker DR

I am implementing a DR strategy for my company. I have a primary and failover datacenter. Each has data domain and VNX storage.Networker Server is at the primary obviously, but I need to have DR for it in the event of a worst case scenario and I have to restore some big file server savesets at the DR site.

I have two licenses for Networker Server Network Edition. If I install it on second server at DR site, is there a way to link them?

Or should I install Storage Node license on DR box and in the event of a bad disaster, update it to NW Server and restore bootstrap and indexes?

Or should I leave it as Storage Node and use a VM in DR datacenter for DR NW Server to restore to?

Thoughts on best way?

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 18th, 2015 22:00

Zguy28,

After reading your description here is my understand and assumptions :

- You have a DR site with a data domain solely as a redundant device for the data domain in the DR site, so its fair to assume that you are planning on a replication link between the 2 DD's.

- You want to bring up the larger systems on the DR site as soon as possible (within your agreed SLA)

First and foremost as Bingo has already mentioned you don't need to always have a Backup server up and running at the DR site, installing NetWorker takes only a few minutes if you have planned it well and yes you can use just a VM as a backup server since we are dealing with a DD.

Let the replication between the sites be done through CCR (Clone Controlled Replication or File based replication). This way the current media database is aware of what data is replicated and what is not.

You don't have to keep a copy of the updated res/mm/index on the DR site, just ensure that the bootstrap backup is done as frequent as your RTO defines and that the bootstrap is cloned over to the DR site. In case of a DR all you have to do on the DR site is get a NetWorker server running, then configure the device with the bootstrap on it and then do a mmreov/nsrdr. Once complete you are ready for more restores.

2.4K Posts

July 18th, 2015 07:00

Honestly - I guess you are using the wrong approach or I simply do not understand your description. It sounds to me as if you want to start copying the data in case of a desaster. Of course I don't know your SLAs but you will most likely run out of time if you must restore the data of multiple big file servers' at the time of failure.

With respect to NetWorker, I assume it all depends on whether you need the remote storage node at all. If not, I would probably not even install NW - this is a job of minutes Just make sure that the 3 important directories

- res

- mm

- index

and probbably logs will be copied to the DR site - same directory - at least once a day.

In case of a DR just rename the 'new' host to the original name, adjust the IP addresses, install NW server and run the bootstrap restore.

Of course, moving a VM will be no issue as all parameters remain the same.

July 20th, 2015 10:00

That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

No Events found!