Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2013 08:00

Networker Integration With DD Boost

I have a question about enabling DD Boost. For an example, an environment that has a Data Domain system that is replicating to a Data Domain system and uses Networker as their backup software solution. I know enabling DD Boost would make Networker aware of the secondary DD Boost and would make the replication times configurable within Networker, but would it otherwise be a seamless integration? Or would we have to run a full backup after enabling the DD Boost and do a new replication with DD Boost enabled?

Question 2. Can 2 separate NW data zones communicate/be aware of each other?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 10th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

DD Boost is not used only for replication, but DFA backups as well.  So you get two benefits really.  Yes, it is seamless integtration and there is no need to run fulls afterwards.  I started my DD tests with VTL on DD and then I just switched to DD disk devices. DD uses single dedupe pool on backend and it doesn't care in that respect how data gets there.

2 NW data zones are not aware of each other.  That means you can't share devices nor media servers (storage nodes) between them. That also means that you can't export and then import mdb/index data from one data zone into another. That RFE has been for long time on EMC's desk to be addressed and I'm not aware of current plans to address it - someone from EMC might comment that further. When it comes to DD, single DD can be used by two or more applications (in this case NW servers) as long as they don't share same data pools (storage unit in DD language).

40 Posts

January 11th, 2013 06:00

Hello,

One other thing to remember, by your post I'm guessing that you are currently doing replication using DD instead of networker "clone control replication" by your statement of "and would make the replication times configurable within Networker".

If you don't use networker's "clone control replication"  networker will not know anything about the data on the other dd box that the dd replicated.

No Events found!