Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2011 10:00

Networker User Recover Options

Hello,

This is a very exact question about the format of the text field circle in red in my picture.

I am trying to recover to a system named the_client_name and then into it's directory...

but for another example:

systemname/root/myfolder

doesn't work. Does anyone know how to sepcify the system name in this field? I have not made this work successfully before but I saw an EMC tech do it!

Capture2.PNG

736 Posts

December 8th, 2011 02:00

Hi,

From your screenshot, you are putting the client_name at the start of the path where you want to put the recovered data when in fact you need an absolute path to where to put the data on the client itself.   You have the saveset id, so you can check what's in the saveset by using the recover -n command like so:

recover -s [nw_server_name_here] -n -S [ssid_here] > dummy_recover 2>&1

This will not recover any data but will output to the file what would have been recovered by a recover of the entire saveset.

Then, once you are sure that the data you want is in this saveset, you can run on the client:

recover -vvvvv -s [nw_server_name_here] -d [destination_to_recover_to] -S [ssid] [/complete/path/to/file]

for example: 

Saveset Recover Unix Example

mkdir /recov

recover -vvvvv -s vm-lego-230 -d "/recov" -S 1725715655 /etc/krb5.conf

-Bobby

38 Posts

To identify the saveset I needed to index I ran:

mminfo -avot -q volume=volumename -r client,mediafile,mediarec,ssid,name

The saveset I wanted to index was marked vrF SO

then put the mediafile and mediarec into here:

scanner -i -S ssid -f 76 -r 0 \\.\Tape0

and then I go to browse via "Change Browse Time" and Networker User replied that there was nothing to browse from that date!! There absolutely is and I rebuilt the darn index for it!

I was just trying to find another method before going back to bug support on the phone.

240 Posts

A quick question here: did you try the browse option to see if that resolves the issue?

445 Posts

December 12th, 2011 09:00

cvs500,

You cannot restore the directory contents using this command, you must have the full path to the files to enable this restore.

It is commonly not used often as End users do not know the full file names/paths required. The recover will also take as long as a saveset restore as it reads the whole saveset - the saving is in the amount of data recovered not in the time taken. You can quit the restore once the file you require is written to disk and start another if required.

Regards,

Bill Mason

38 Posts

December 12th, 2011 09:00

That's strange. I was once told that you cannot do a saveset restore with a specific file or directory specified.

That's why I did not even consider that command.

Is there a special case where you can Not specify the saveset and then Do specify the directory or file to recover.

No Events found!