Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2012 04:00

Networker backup of virtual clients

I have Networker 7.6 currently installed on my IBM p570 running AIX 6.1 with no LPARs

We are moving to a new IBM p750 running AIX 7.1 that will have LPARs (Logical Partition) on it

The new server will also be the Networker Server with its own LPAR

The question is will I have to get seperate client licenses for each lpar?

I was told that each LPAR would have its own network card, will that make a difference?

Thanks in advance

736 Posts

September 12th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

In order to avoid having a separate client license for each LPAR, you should use the Virtual Edition Client Connection License.  You will need one such license per physical host regardless of how many LPARs you have on that physical host.  You can find more details on this in the NetWorker Licensing Guide p. 35.

-Bobby

79 Posts

September 12th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

LPAR stands for Logical Partitioning. It divides hardware resources. Each Logical partition requires its own dedicated processor, memory,interactive performance, disk storage pool, and I/O processors such as console, tape, and LAN/WAN communications.

LPAR is configured as normal NetWorker Client. NetWorker client software has to be installed on the each partition/virtualised machine.NetWorker Server will be treating each virtualized client as physical machine, so it will backup the same way as a normal NetWorker Client.

So you need to get seperate client licenses for each Client configured.

Please refer to NetWorker Installation Guide for more details on how to install NetWorker on AIX.

For more details you can refer the KB article How to configure IBM LPAR backup with NetWorker

http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg129044&usertype=C

Regards

Panwar

736 Posts

September 12th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

The virtual license would give you more flexibility if you want to create more LPARs at some stage, but if you're sure that you aren't going to do that, then you can go for the cheaper option.  There is no functionality difference between the two.

-Bobby

253 Posts

September 12th, 2012 07:00

What would be the advantage of using virtual license over a seperate client for each LPAR?

We would only be putting 2 or 3 LPARs on each server so the 5 client license would be cheaper

14.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 04:00

I thought release supplement for 7.6.4.x said virtual client licenses are no longer used?

No Events found!