Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2012 09:00

New Backup&Recovery concept required...

Hello Guys,

I hope you can help me in this issue (as usual ), or at least give me some useful hints,
what would be the best/proper way to work it out.What would be best solution to backup our systems from remote subsidiaries across the Europe? 

What we have:
Locally:
NetWorker 7.6 Power Edition running on AIX
used for backup to LTO tapes, a lot of “client connections licenses” that are currently no in use.

Remotely:
Various IT systems (Windows, Linux, Unix, Oracle /MySQL/ Exchange/Lotus Notes etc..)
50~ 100 TB Storage Nodes currently not in use

My Idea:
Should be same for all remote offices:
… to install a NW StorageNode software on one Unix server remotely and to registered that storage node into our exiting backup server.

On that remotely installed storage node server attached existing 100TB StorageNodes for Backup2Disk solution using appropriate VTL/Deduplication software

For backup of VMware environment I’d prefer to use VADP technologies and for backup of other Physical servers (10 ~ 20 machines) just normal “old traditional” File Level based backup with use of NMM/NMDA if required.
So the Indexes should be sent over WAN (redundant 10 Mb conn.) to our backup server

Questions:
- Your opinion about this backup concept, is this technical possible?
- Which software should be used for VTL and Deduplication purposes? (limited investment)
- Is VADP recommended to use?
- Some other similar or better idea?

Thanks & Regards…
Vucko

544 Posts

November 20th, 2012 13:00

Hi Vucko,

From my point of view, I can see that your overall idea about desiging your backup environment is good and it is technically possible, no problems in that. Of course this needs more elaboration for the details but the overview is good and can be implemented. For the VTL & Deduplication i recommend you to look for the DataDomain , this will be the best for your environment I believe. For the VMware backups, VADP is the best method to backup VMs due to its high backup performance as well as it offloads backup processes from the ESX server to VADP proxy server. I am totally agree with your overview design.

Hope this helps,

Ahmed Bahaa

November 20th, 2012 23:00

Hi Vucko,

I see that the Networker version specified is 7.6. VADP is supported only with version 7.6.2 and later. So, you would have to upgrade the Networker version on the server before implementing the VADP backups.

47 Posts

November 21st, 2012 01:00

Hello,

actually we are using NW 7.6.3 and in near feature it is planned to make an upgrade to NW 8.1
(is SP1 for NW 8 already released?)

47 Posts

November 21st, 2012 02:00

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for your reply, how is it actually with use DataDomain with NW, do I need any additional license for NW?

DataDomain is software solution and can be used on various hardware like IBM , HP, DELL etc..?

544 Posts

November 21st, 2012 03:00

Hi Vucko,

Two types of license keys must be enabled for the NetWorker server to interact with a Data Domain or Data Domain Archiver system, the Data Domain Device Type Enabler and a Data Domain Device Type Capacity Enabler.

The Data Domain or Data Domain Archiver system must be enabled with the following licenses:

- OPENSTORAGE license (DD Boost license)

- REPLICATION license (if clone-controlled replication will be used)

Please check the following link and find some data sheets talking about the sofware,hardware and technology:

http://www.emc.com/backup-and-recovery/data-domain/data-domain.htm

Also I had attached the NetWorker & Data Domain Integration guide whih will gives you more information about licensing.

Hope this helps you,

Ahmed Bahaa

1 Attachment

47 Posts

November 21st, 2012 22:00

Is there any other VTL/Dedupl. Software solution that can be used for backup2disk on the exiting storage node?

DataDomain is a hardware box and additional investment in hardware is currently not planned

Thanks & Regards..

Vucko

14.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 07:00

There are several software options which may be used against existing storage (eg. Falconstor), but each more serious one will require investment nevertheless.

No Events found!