Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2010 10:00

Nomenclature

I just came on this entry at Preston de Guise's NetWorker Blog today (OK - it's been there a while) - but I think its good and something we'll likely need to start here at the NWOC.  Preston's nomeclature page seeks to clarify terms used in and around NetWorker.  I have to admit, I've been asked probably several hundred times - what is a datazone?  This page helps with that and others like - do you have media servers?  Why yes, we call it a Storage Node.  Etc.

In any case, have a look. And I'll look to start a glossary page here as well.

In that light - are there terms used with NetWorker (or ones your not sure if we use) that beg a deeper description for you?

OR is there a funny/strange term that you can think of that you would like to call out - maybe to say - hey NetWorker folks - what's up with that???

49 Posts

April 20th, 2010 23:00

ASM's really need to be renamed, I think. Especially as you have Application modules :-)

Policies are not really that. Policies are really "retention/Browse Periods". Most people would think of a Policy as being something like:

Back this up every day at 7pm using schedule "fred", replicate it to site A. Keep it on VTL for 90 days and then move it to tape on both sites where you will keep it for 3 years.

177 Posts

April 21st, 2010 11:00

Yes - when I talk about ASMs, i don't say ASMs (unless its a long time tried and true NW customer).  I tend to use the term "Directives" and then describe the ones I'm talking about.  And, policies - you've hit another one that isn't just an issue there.  As a matter of fact, when the Probe stuff was going to be introduced, we debated on whether to use the term policy for that.  You may notice that the function remains "probe" in NetWorker, but marketing talks about "event-based" backup.  I'm not crazy about that term either.  So for browse/retention, "period" is right - but it is so common in the backup space to have a conversation about "what is your retention policy" - and all we're lookng for is that time period (90 days, 7 years... etc.).  Good ones. Thanks.

No Events found!