January 18th, 2012 01:00

Oracle LAN restore from EMC VTL fails with ORA-19612

I meant to post question here but now is already posted at

https://community.emc.com/message/586782#586782

Any ideas?

736 Posts

January 18th, 2012 03:00

Hi Zlatko,

Could you please provide more detail on what exactly is failing.  Is it all restores or just one restore of one DB?  Did it work before?    You might want to increase the debug level on the restore operation to try to get more info around the failure (NSR_DEBUG_FILE=/nsr/applogs/t1.log,NSR_DEBUG_LEVEL=9).

-Bobby

26 Posts

January 18th, 2012 03:00

Hi Bobby,

I am waiting for return info from Oracle admin, who usually does restores individually (and successfully).

Here, we are talking about series of unsuccessful restores of daily full backups.

Once the device for dedicated storage node was enabled, and backup using that that device, restore worked.

One unusual thing to note is that there were periods of waiting or reported slow reading on the device.

On other instance, device reported tens of gigabytes read but there were no changes to be seen on hard disks to which restore was to be made.

736 Posts

January 18th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

It looks like the issue is more related to the flow of data than to the Oracle application since it works when going through one Storage Node and not another.   Often in cases like this, I find it easiest to simplify by removing Oracle from the scenario and testing a small backup and restore through the problem storage node to try to recreate and debug the problem without the complication of Oracle.

-Bobby

26 Posts

January 18th, 2012 04:00

Hm, backups were made and were cloned without any errors, restores, on Networker level, reported OK..

Please note that in case linked there is also exit status 0.

Suspicion is upon corruption of database itself, but yet, like in the case I linked, once you use SAN for backup (in case linked its used for restore), everything works.

Difference between ded stor backups and LAN backups is that LAN one is interpolated on the tape with another backup.

z

No Events found!