Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2014 14:00

Perform BMR via Networker 8.1

HI

I am finding it little difficult to start with BMR using Networker 8.1 . Please let me know how to create a bootable CD/DVD for client & start the recovery using B.M.R .Any advice would be of great help !!

Thnks

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

July 24th, 2014 15:00

Just follow documentation - there is DR guide which covers these aspects.  You should download bootable image from EMC site and use it with Windows DR (eg. attach it as bootable image from your console). When you boot into WinPE it will ask you couple of basic question and then restore will be performed.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 24th, 2014 23:00

Azure,

Also, What is the error that you are facing. Incase it is that the NetWorker DR image is not booting and is asking you to reboot every time you try to boot, then you are suing a ESX lower to VSphere 5. For ESX 4 there is a separate DR ISO, you will find it with the name - https://download.emc.com/downloads/DL49682_NetWorker-8.1-Windows-BMR-Wizard-x64-vSphere-4.iso . If this is not the case can you please share the error that you are getting.

20 Posts

July 25th, 2014 13:00

Thanks Crazyrov , we do have  E.S.X servers .Secondly the link also worked great . However , please be so kind to lemme know if the above iso also works on VMware Workstation so that I can give it a tryy at home & then tryy on our production servers . Thnks again , because this i.so is very useful for me because our prod servers are all deployed on ES.X .Perfect one !!

20 Posts

Thanks Hrvoje , you got me to the right place . I was searching for Bootable images . Please be so kind to provide my a link where I can download Bootable images for performiing B.M.R for Windows server 2008 , 2003 because i tried searching for them on E.M.C but cannot find them ! your help would be really appreciated .

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

Azure1 wrote:

Thanks Hrvoje , you got me to the right place . I was searching for Bootable images . Please be so kind to provide my a link where I can download Bootable images for performiing B.M.R for Windows server 2008 , 2003 because i tried searching for them on E.M.C but cannot find them ! your help would be really appreciated .

I think crazyrov got you with link, but ISOs can be downloaded from https://support.emc.com/downloads/1095_NetWorker and then just select downloads and version you are after and you will find it.  Note that you need win2k8 or higher for this to work. Win2k3 and lower are not supported for BMR and there you need to:

- install baseline with exactly same patch level as when last backup was made

- install NW client

- do complete restore

Obviously, BMR does eliminate first two and partially third step (as during BMR so called critical drives are restored and rest is normal restore).  I did underline exactly patch level part for win2k3 and lower as sometimes (many?) this does play crucial part towards success of operation and it is somewhat of pain in the *** to do it (eg. I have number of win2k machines and I doubt Windows guys have records of patches installed, but then again they created emergency baseline in case restore is needed which should cover all patches, but you never know if individual machine might divert from it).

I also did my initial tests with VMs, but with real ESX - not sure if this would work with workstation, but give it a go.

20 Posts

July 26th, 2014 00:00

yeah , the link works awesome . I got the DR bootable images there . Thanks a lott mann !!Secondly , i tried the above restore method & really it takes some serious restorations of patches , fixes with Networker client version also having the same patches for 2003 .This heck takes a lott of time .

As suggested by you , i would give a tryy to VMware workstation by downloading VM Vsphere too & would also share the results .

(y)

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 28th, 2014 02:00

Yes it does.

No Events found!