Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2014 08:00

Problem with SMB backups on Windows server 2012 R2 x64 and Networker 8.1.1.3

Hello!

We just migrated from Windows server 2003 x86 with Networker 7.5.2 to Windows Server 2012 x64 8.1.1.3.

All config files and index where moved without any problems. All local backups and clients are running fine but not our CIFS/SMB backuper. Our Networker group that we use for SQL backups haven't be able to run in 3 days now so this is getting critical.

We thought is was a permissions error at first but after that we tried many different accounts that has full permissions to the SMB share we understood that this wasn't the source to the problem.

We also tried to activate SMBv1, SMBv2 and SMBv3 without success. We have also created a local share on the backupserver with full permissions and it still doesn't work. Mapping the SMB share to a local drive doesn't work either.

This is the errors message that Networker reports:

94693:save: The backup of save set '\\sqlbackup1\sqlbackup\SERVERNAME01' failed.

Thanks in advance

79 Posts

March 19th, 2014 00:00

Are you backing up CIFS shares from the NetWorker server? I've not tried the latest and greatest SMB3 stuff yet, but I assume there's a reason for backing up via shares instead of a NetWorker client installed. Perhaps the use of SMB3 for hosting Hyper-V volumes.

Anyway, try using save.exe -o "VSS:*=OFF" as your save command for this save set. I used this when backing up a CIFS share on a NAS device. In the environment I inherited this was necessary to correctly back up the ACLs, as a supplement to the NDMP backup.

35 Posts

March 19th, 2014 02:00

Hello cmorrall!

Your reply made my day, save.exe -o "VSS:*=OFF" fixed the problem and the SMB backups are running fine!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Anthon Hassel

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

April 9th, 2014 02:00

Hi Anthon

are you use incremental backup ? I have a similar issue and with this option i done only full backup successfull, incremental backup is completed as fail :-(

Regards Pavel

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

April 9th, 2014 03:00

Hi Anthon

i backup file share on remote NAS storage as for example \\192.168.1.10\Data

save command : save -L -v -o "vss:*=off"

error: 94693:save: The backup of save set '\\192.168.1.10\Data' failed.

full backup OK, incremental fail

Pavel

35 Posts

April 9th, 2014 03:00

Hello Pavel!

No I don't have any problem with incremental backups, since I added save.exe -o "VSS:*=OFF" everything have been running really good.

Do you get any error message and what backup command do you use?

35 Posts

April 9th, 2014 04:00

Ok!

Have you tried the command I use? Same error message?

// Anthon

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 9th, 2014 05:00

pavel.banar wrote:

Hi Anthon

i backup file share on remote NAS storage as for example \\192.168.1.10\Data

save command : save -L -v -o "vss:*=off"

error: 94693:save: The backup of save set '\\192.168.1.10\Data' failed.

full backup OK, incremental fail

Pavel

Try to use also -c parameter to force client index usage.  If that fails, add -D9 which will give you debug output and perhaps some more data that may help to address your issue (note, D9 produces loads of output so your better redirect that somewhere - some messages inside might be misleading too )

No Events found!