Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AM

August 26th, 2010 11:00

Problems with LTO3 Drives Networker 7.6.0.Build.171

Hello.

I´m having troubles with the drives in one of my sl 500 lilbraries.  All the drives are in service mode and I don´t know why.  If I run the inquire command in one of the storage nodes, it lists the drives but the wwnn is clearly different to the wwpn or ww2n of the same device.  if I list the details of the sl500 and its drives under the sl console, it shows its wwnn and wwpn. How can I refresh or modify the wwnn in the storage node?

For example:

this is an extract of the data that shows the slconsole (slconsole is the software that manages the sl500 library)

Device Id  : 0,2,1,9

General
                     Drive Type : HpUltrium3
                     Code Version : L6HS/012.859
                     Vendor : HP
                     Serial Number : HU10521T8K
                     Interface Type : Fibre
                  Drive Configuration    ***THE DRIVE MUST BE IN A CONFIGURABLE STATE***
                     LVD Target ID : n/a
                     World Wide Name Node : 500104f0008d92ae
                     Port A World Wide Name : 500104f0008d92af
                     Port A Enabled : true
                     Port A Loop ID (use 126 for soft addressing) : 126
                     Port A Speed (GB) : 2GBit
                     Port A Link Status : n/a
                     Port B World Wide Name : 500104f0008d92b0
                     Port B Enabled : true
                     Port B Loop ID (use 126 for soft addressing) : 126
                     Port B Speed (GB) : Auto Negotiate
                     Port B Link Status : n/a
And this is a part of the result of the inquire command in one of the storage nodes:
scsidev@10.5.0:HP      Ultrium 3-SCSI  L6HS|Tape, \\.\Tape4
                                           S/N: HU10521T8K
                                           ATNN=HP      Ultrium 3-SCSI  HU10521T8K
                                           WWNN=50060B00002E20DA
                                           WWPN=500104F0008D92AF
                                           WW2N=500104F0008D92AE
                                           PORT=00000001
As you can see, the wwnn detected by the library (using slconsole) is different to the wwnn detected by the inquire command and I don´t know why.  I suppouse the data of the hardware must be mandatory, but how can I refresh or modify in the server the data detected by the inquire command?   Networker server and client server are Windows 2003 SP2 Servers.

3 Posts

August 26th, 2010 15:00

Here is an update:

when I run a backup to that library and the sl500 mounts a tape to each drive, shows in log this error::

"Device media error; The system cannot find the file specifiied"

Then the drive dismounts the tape, it backs the tape to its slots and takes another tape and the same error. and so on...

Any advice?

334 Posts

September 1st, 2010 06:00

Hi Alan,

Moving your question over to the Support Forum..

Thanks!

Allan

38 Posts

September 17th, 2010 19:00

Hello,

Just  following up.  Is this still an open issue?  Was the zoning corrected?

55 Posts

September 20th, 2010 17:00

The only way to get the new configurations into NetWorker is to delete the library and re-create it.

14.3K Posts

October 21st, 2010 05:00

Alan-MS wrote:

Here is an update:

when I run a backup to that library and the sl500 mounts a tape to each drive, shows in log this error::

"Device media error; The system cannot find the file specifiied"

Then the drive dismounts the tape, it backs the tape to its slots and takes another tape and the same error. and so on...

Any advice?

I assume device path is not correct or path from OS to device itself is broken.  I'm quite sure that if you would use mt command to check status of this path on storage node you would get same error.  Before doing any reconfig, you must dig out what really happen and what is the status (depending on what it is, it may end up that fixing the cause will cause order to be the same as before or path to be available again so no reconfiguration on backup config would be required).

92 Posts

October 21st, 2010 13:00

You said that you are using windows 2003, and it appears, based on tape device names, that you are not using persistent naming.    In our environment, we have had to go to persistent binding, not only for windows, but on the actual fiber devices themselves.  In our case, that's managing devices in the fiber card software.

If you don't do this, then everytime you reboot, or make changes, it can discover the devices in a different order than when you congifured your devices.   \\Tape0 might now be \\.\Tape3.   

If you don't want to do all of that, and you have a fairly simple environement, simply deleting the library, and re-creating the library will fix the problem.   

No Events found!