Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2010 12:00

Question regarding unique features of Networker

Hello,

I would like to ask a question regarding unique features of networker: Are there any that for example Tivoli Storage Manager does not have? Both have deduplication, both say they have the fastest times in the business, etc.

Are there any unique features to this product?

Thank you very much for answering.

78 Posts

October 1st, 2010 16:00

Thanks for the question Christoph1975. Both NetWorker and TSM have been in the data protection industry since the beginning. I'll have to say though that only NetWorker really has evolved to be the single point of management. They both have deduplication but can TSM claim client level integration with Avamar source based deduplication? Can TSM, see my demo videos recently posted, integrate with Data Domain to bring it under one management console? These are relatively new features but let's talk for a moment about one of my favorites that has been a NetWorker advantage from the beginning- the Browse Policy.

The Browse policy in NetWorker allows you to prune your indexes (catalogs) to keep them within a reasonable size. Of course we are all familiar with the data set retention policy saying, for example, backup this data set and keep it for, based on the recent survey on the community, 7 years. We also know that typically the need for a file level recovery drops off after around 3 weeks. using TSM, and the incremental forever methodology it is based on, you must keep ever path to every file for where ever a file ever existed in the file system for the entire 7 years. NetWorker allows you to set a browse policy that says, maybe after 4 weeks delete the meta data that lets me browse the backup with the recovery UI. This meta data is the stuff that takes up the majority of an index. By pruning it, NetWorker still allows the recovery for the seven years, you just give up the ability to use the UI to browse for an individual file after 4 weeks. You can even still recovery and individual file if you know the path that it was located. Simply type it in and NetWorker will go find that file and recover it.

The ease of use in the NetWorker Manageement Console, the exponential speed of installation and confiuration and the robust reporting functionality as only scratches the surface.

I would be happy to give a comprehensive demonstration of you like.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Steve

October 7th, 2010 02:00

Hello Steven,

thank you very much for your answer. Would you happen to know which kind of DB is used within Networker? Is this DB2 as well?

Would you also happen to know if there is some more detailed documentation and / or demos to download? You were talking about your demo videos, are these still available online?

Thank you again and sorry for the late reply. I expected to be notified in case of a new answer. My mistake.

78 Posts

October 7th, 2010 16:00

NetWorker uses a proprietary database, not DB2 or SQL or anything. This allows us greater scalability and performance. You can view a few of the videos I have posted on the Video tab in the NetWorekr Community. As well, I do take requests!

Do you have a Powerlink account? All the docs are there but if you are looking for something specific let me know and I'll try to get it to you.

Cheers,

Steve

No Events found!