Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2015 05:00

RPC error, Can't encode arguements

Hi,

Every since upgrading my Windows networker server to version 8.1.2, I have been unable to backup some old unix systems. I don't know the client version off the top of my head but I do know Its either running 6.? or 5.?. It worked before they upgrade which the networker server was running version 7.6.5 but now all I get is this error,

Save: RPC error, can't encode arguments

Save: save of /Directory to "networker server" failed

I have attached a picture with more output

Appreciate the help,

Thanks

1 Attachment

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

March 27th, 2015 06:00

It might be the case of too old client.  I can see you mentioned DEC in tags so I assume that is 5.x.  It might work perhaps more stable with nsrauth disabled, but this may break more things nowadays as it is intended to be enabled.  My advice to you is to had legacy server for legacy clients as otherwise you and your whole environment becomes hostage of couple of oldies.

2.4K Posts

March 27th, 2015 06:00

The line "save: Diagnostic: continued save failed: cannot create continuation ss" makes me thinking.

A "continued save set" had to be created if the amount of client data extended the max. file system size for the OS. See the Command Line Reference for further Explanation (for example 2GB). Search für "SS cutoff size".

To the best of my knowledge, this is not used any longer and did not apply to certain devices.

If you cannot split your source data by selecting specific subdirectories, may I suggest you contact EMC Support and find out whether they have a different solution.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

March 30th, 2015 05:00

I will give that a try, Thanks for the help!

No Events found!