Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2015 06:00

Rebuild Networker server - unique requirement

HI, we have an old Networker server that has some problems that were resulting from a bad disaster recovery by an inexperienced admin. So, now it has duplicate entries in some areas of the db where there are default objects (e.g. schedules, saveset group "Default" etc) and the NW server's Storage Node entry on the Devices tab shows up twice. We've just kind of dealt with it until now. But its on old hardware, and NW is having a problem with the nsrmmd version shows "unknown" in the storage node properties and all the jobs hang. We're thinking a rebuild is in order on new hardware.

We want to restore all data such as jobs, media indexes, devices, saveset groups, custom schedules, etc.

We do not want to restore all this trash and duplicate entries. Any ideas on how best to go about this?

Running NW 8.2.0.6

September 1st, 2015 04:00

Here is what I ended up doing as I was short on time. We ended up re-using the old hardware and taking notes to make it easier to move to new hardware in the near future when we can plan it out.

Exported all NSR resource types via nsradmin to a cfg file.

Uninstalled Networker and renamed Legato dir

Reinstalled Networker 8.2.1.6

imported NSR types for pools, devices, schedules, policies, groups, clients etc. This was difficult because of inter-dependencies between pools and devices etc. Restrictions on pools and devices made it hard here. Lesson learned.

Recovered media database.

Worked out a few issues with permissions for client system accounts and now its done.

2.4K Posts

August 31st, 2015 14:00

What does 'old hardware' mean? - NW 6.x, 7.x or 8.x ?

The OS type is also important.

The configuration is stored on the NW server in ../nsr/res/nsrdb (../nsr/res/nsrdb.res on old versions).

My recommendation is to restore only the ../nsr/res/ directory from the bootstrap save set.

Use the recover command as follows:

recover -S bootstrap_ssid -d temp_dir -a exact_nsr_res_path

Then ..

- shutdown NW

- rename ../nsr/res

- copy the files from the temp directory to ../nsr/res

- restart the NW daemons/services

Good luck.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

August 31st, 2015 15:00

Bingo, I don't think copy will work.  If I had to guess, certain person did mmrevov and then did cp of res.R into res instead of removing or renaming res and then moving res.R to res.  This caused duplicates all over the place.  In such case, every bootstrap backup since then will contain duplicated entries as they are part of resource database now.

One could edit this manually, but migrating to newer hardware due to this is better excuse.  Of course, question is how to get it right.  Moving index and mm is easy (if talking about same OS platform) so it is just res.  In such case, I would export what I need with nsradmin and then use that as an input to create it on new server.  I do not wish to go through details here as this has been mentioned few times and you can also find examples in nsradmin micromanual (I believe it is now part of turbo charged maual) at NetWorker Information Hub.

No Events found!