Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2011 12:00

Reconnect a client to onther backup server

Hi guys,

We have a backup server "backupserver1" that runs networker 7.3 and there is a client "server1" connected to this backup server.

Now, we installed a new backup server "backupserver2" that runs networker 7.6.1 , we need to stop backupserver1 and reconnect the client server1 to the backup server "backupserver2", so we created a client in the backupserver2 and try to run the group but we usually get this error:

" :  Unable to execute savefs job on host server1: NetWorker server `backupserver' is not in the servers file for the NetWorker client `server1"

What is the problem?

Can we still recover some files backed up by the older server   "backupserver1" if this server kept as it is.

Many thanks

240 Posts

June 14th, 2011 12:00

Jihad,

I am looking into the first part about moving a client from one NW server to another, but I think I have the answer for the second question about recovering the data:

How to recover a client without performing a recovery from the original Backup Server

Goal: How to recover a client without performing a recovery from the original Backup Server

Goal: How to rebuild a client without the use of the backup server

Fact: Windows 2000 sp 01

Fact: NetWorker Server for Windows

Fact: NetWorker Client for Unix

Fact: Solaris

Fix: - Install the same version of the same Operating System and same version of NetWorker (install the NetWorker backup server on the new machine which will become the old Client)

- If the new machine will have a different name, then you will need to edit the hosts file on the New Solaris machine and add an entry for the old machine with a fake ip address (10.10.10.1)

- Create the old machine as a client in NetWorker on the new Solaris machine. Make sure, you create it using the same client ID as it existed on the original Backup Server.

This can be found by running the following command from the Original NetWorker Server: mminfo -av -c client_name -r "client, clientid"

- On the New Solaris machine, run nwadmin, go to Client --> Client Setup and select old client (client that backed up the files, which you just created)

- Enter *@* in the Remote Access field and then Click Apply

- Scan the volume that contains the backup for the client.

- Now you will need to perform a Directed recovery by running nwrecover from the new Solaris machine

- Go to Change --> Client, in nwrecover, and select the source client (old machine) and click OK

- Mark the root directory to recover everything

- Then select Recover

This should do it Goal: How to recover a client without performing a recovery from the original Backup Server

Goal: How to rebuild a client without the use of the backup server

Fact: Windows 2000 sp 01

Fact: NetWorker Server for Windows

Fact: NetWorker Client for Unix

Fact: Solaris

Fix: - Install the same version of the same Operating System and same version of NetWorker (install the NetWorker backup server on the new machine which will become the old Client)

- If the new machine will have a different name, then you will need to edit the hosts file on the New Solaris machine and add an entry for the old machine with a fake ip address (10.10.10.1)

- Create the old machine as a client in NetWorker on the new Solaris machine. Make sure, you create it using the same client ID as it existed on the original Backup Server.

This can be found by running the following command from the Original NetWorker Server: mminfo -av -c client_name -r "client, clientid"

- On the New Solaris machine, run nwadmin, go to Client --> Client Setup and select old client (client that backed up the files, which you just created)

- Enter *@* in the Remote Access field and then Click Apply

- Scan the volume that contains the backup for the client.

- Now you will need to perform a Directed recovery by running nwrecover from the new Solaris machine

- Go to Change --> Client, in nwrecover, and select the source client (old machine) and click OK

- Mark the root directory to recover everything

- Then select Recover

This should do it

I will post when I have the answer to your other question.

Mark

240 Posts

June 14th, 2011 13:00

OK - so I had a slight memory lapse.

The issue is most likely related to the client settings.  Make sure the new NW server has access to the client through the client settings. The default is nsrserverhost.  Also, setting Remote Access to *@* may help too.

Let me know if this makes sense.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 15th, 2011 01:00

Log to server1, and in /nsr/res or C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\res you will see servers file.  Update that file to include backupserver2.

9 Posts

June 16th, 2011 06:00

Just to add to that, after making the change to the servers file, you'll need to restart the services for it to take effect - but the reply above mine about the servers file will solve your problem.

With regard restores, (Although i havent tried or tested this myself) I believe that if, when you create Server1 on the BackupServer2, if you also give it the same ClientID as the one it has on BackupServer1 (found under Globals (1 of 2) tab on the client properties), you should then be able to copy over the index files from BackupServer1 to BackupServer2 and it should accept them to make your life easier

253 Posts

February 25th, 2013 12:00

I am having a simular issue. I am trying to migrate all my clients to a new Networker server and get the same error on 2 of my clients. I ran the nsradmin and got this:

nsradmin.png

Under servers it has shrimp and I do not know where it got that.

I have changed the servers file on the client and restarted Networker but still nothing.

Where does it get the information and how do I change it?

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

February 25th, 2013 22:00

Larry,

Go to client and

1) net stop nsrexecd

2) rename while Program Files\nsr\res (only res!)

3) net start nsrexecd

4) do some small backup from client

5) see if it works from server too (you can also play with nsradmin just as you did in previous post)

253 Posts

February 26th, 2013 05:00

That worked for all but one, the last one didn't have a servers file even after I install NW8

After I added that and put n the server I had to reconfigure the client because it did not have the alias NW was looking for, but it appears to be all fixed now.

Thanks

No Events found!