Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2010 01:00

Recover (very) old Exchange IS from old server to new server

Hi,

I'm trying to recover an (very) old Exchange 2003 Information Store.

Situation:

Old exchange-server name: EXSEV01

New exchange-server name: EXSEV02

The customer migrated in Sept 2009 from Exchange Server, The Exchange version stayed the same (2003)

At the moment it's necessary to recover an database from a tape created in Aug 2008 (EXSEV01) to an RSG on EXSEV02

I've used "scanner -m \\.\Tape0" to make the CFI browsable. This worked fine.

If I start the Networker User for Exchange on the EXSEV02, it cannot find the necessary saveset, because the new Exchange Server is EXSEV02 and the needed Client is EXSEV01.

What to do??

thanks in advance

regards

Antoine Schokker

36 Posts

August 18th, 2010 08:00

Hello Antoine

You may try to do a directed recovery in this case. For this you need to have the old exchange  EXSEV01 configured in NW as a client, even though it doesn't exist physically, I understand this already exists.

hence when you open the NW user, select the Source as EXSEV01 and desitnation as EXSEV02.

Hope this helps.

If you need further help reply back.

56 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 01:00

Hello Antoine,

In addition to Sharma's solution which i am totally agree with , A directed recovery is an operation in which data is recovered to an Exchange server other than the one from which it was backed up. The NetWorker Module for Exchnage supports directed recovery of traditional
backups of the Information Store.

You can check the directed recovery requirments and the correct procedures to perform directed recovery in the NetWorker Module for Exchange 5.1 Administration guide on pages 97,98 and 99.

You can download this guide from the following link:

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1//en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-004-749.pdf

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

August 23rd, 2010 00:00

Whith help from EMC Support I got it working.

You're both right. The Directed Recovery is the way to go. Indeed create an dummy-client.

The hard part was Exchange itself. We've an standaard license, so it was impossible to create a second Mailbox-Store, because its necessay to create the same hiearchy in Exchange (first-storagegroup \ mailboxstore), as it is written to the tape.

To do this I had to install a new server with Exchange. Create an MailboxStore with the same name as the Store on the backup.

Install a Networker and Networker Module for Exchange on this new client (with temp licenses)

Start a Directed Recovery to this Client.

Wait

And then Exchange gave me more troubles. I had to hard-recover the data. This goes with the command eseutil /cc .

When I started that command I receveid an error-message regarding the versions, they did not match.

After applying SP1 to Exchange the command worked fine, and there was access to the mailboxen !!!

regards

Antoine Schokker

No Events found!