Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2012 22:00

Restore data backed up at different site (datazone) to another site with just the media.

Is there any way we can restore data backed up at different site (datazone) to another site with just the media.

The question may be silly but is it possible to rebuild the index from the media and restore specific data from that media?

38 Posts

June 27th, 2012 23:00

Thanks Carlos.. that was helpful.

But the ultimate aim is to just restore the data to some other client and not create/move the client to this datazone.

For example.

I have taken backup of /tmp on client HOST-1 in datazone-1.

I bring along that media to another datazone-2 and restore the above said /tmp into another machine HOST-2 which already exists in datazone-2

1.7K Posts

June 27th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

To restore a client into another NetWorker server/Datazone you can follow the steps described in the following KB's:

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg55456

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg63354

Basically you need to write down the client ID for that client, create same pool as in original server, scan in the tape for that client with the scanner -i -c client_name device_name.

Steps are pretty well described in those KB's.

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

June 28th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Sure you can do that in 2 ways:

1.- Restore /tmp in HOST1 and then manually copy it to HOST2

2.- Configure the remote access correctly in both clients, and then once you have created the client in the new datazone, and scanned in the data and followed the steps to restore the data from client in secondary datazone, you can perform a directed restore from HOST1 into HOST2.

Please let me know if you have any doubt about how to do it.

Thank you.

Carlos.

38 Posts

June 28th, 2012 00:00

Hi Carlos...

Here are my replies to each of ur inputs.

1. if only it was that easy

2. I dont understand this approach. But we want to emulate a scenario where the original datazone-1 and host-1 have crashed and all we have is the media containing savesets for host-1. Can i just restore the data from the media to host-2 in datazone-2.

1.7K Posts

June 28th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Yes, you can.

There different approaches, but I think the best way would be to scan the tape in by using scanner -m device_name, this will populate the data from that volume into the media DB.

Once you have it then you can query the MDB for the client ID of HOST1

mminfo -q client=HOST1 -r client,clientid

then you just follow the steps described in the KB's posted earlier, and that will allow you to restore the data.

Directed restore means that once you have the data scanned in on NW server2, you can restore it into any other client in datazone2, with same OS than HOST1.

Let's say you have already scanned in the volume into the MDB (scanner -m) as well as the indexes (scanner -i).

Then you query the MDB with mminfo.

Once you have the clientID you create a client called HOST1 (exact same name as it had in datazone1), with the same client id (obtained from mminfo query).

Once you have it all done, then you modify the remote access in HOST1 and HOST2 to grant permissions, for instance you can add *@HOST1 and*@HOST2 in both clients.

Then you can restore the data from HOST1 into HOST2, is that clear enough?

Thank you.

Carlos.

38 Posts

June 29th, 2012 02:00

Hi Carlos,

Have got some really good inputs from ur side.

Let me try to implement them and get back to you.

For now we may assume my question to be answered.

No Events found!