Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2015 06:00

Restore email from Exchnge 2013 Dag clustering using RDB recover

I have Exchange 2013 sp2 Dag clustering (2x Exchange CAS and 2X Exchange database servers)

Networker client 8.1.1.5 build.306 and NMM 3.0.1.2.298  is installed on First Dag server!

Before dag clustering restore with RDB was successful. After DAG clustering when I try to restore

Mails with RDB database I was prompted with user and password. No matter what user and password I enter nothing was accepted and RDB restore was unsuccessful.

Searched all over forums no one had a problem like that. Opened a case with support. Did everything they asked, sent a ton of logs, nothing, no solution.

So I was on my own. Then started to search how mails are actually restored from RDB database.

Networker used a clever solution. Mount RDB database and use MAPI connection to search and open

emails. Ok , great then. Find Microsoft MAPI tool (mfcmapi.exe) and try to connect to RDB database.

With that tool I have find out that networker creates MAPI profile „Legato NetWorker“ and when I try to connect with that profile I am prompted with same user and password like I was trying RDB restore. Bingo one step closer. Then I took me a lot of searching why it won't connect to RDB database. Ended up creating profile that worked and compare that with one created with networker. I used this web for reference with creating profile. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dvespa/archive/2013/05/21/how-to-mfcmapi-create-mapi-profile-exchange-2013.aspx

When I have compared profiles this was the difference:

RPC_C_HTTP_AUTHN_SCHEME_BASIC – profile created with networker

RPC_C_HTTP_AUTHN_SCHEME_NTLM – profile created by hand

So it was the authentication issue. In my exchange setup „Basic „authentication is disabled only „NTLM“is allowed.

Then it took me a lot of time to find the last piece of the puzzle.

If i change the „legato“ MAPI profile from basic to Ntlm and start RDB recover networker automatically restores the „basic“ authentication.

So it had to be hard coded or registry key to change that...

I started to search registry and luckily found it!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Legato\NetWorker\RecoverOptions\MapiProfile

External AuthPackage = Basic -> Change it to „Ntlm“and RDB restore was successful!!!

Sorry for the long post but it took 3 months to resolve this issue.

Also, big thanks for support and installing numerous versions with no success at all…

1.7K Posts

January 12th, 2015 07:00

Hello @bobi_dunkel

Thank you for sharing this information. Sorry it took so long for you to get this solved.

Thank you,

Carlos

January 12th, 2015 23:00

Hi Carlos,

Thank you also. Some of your posts helped me a lot in some other problems.

I have a feeling that support in my case was not listening properly. Higher ranking technician

would solve this issue in minutes. I just could not get trough to one .

No problem I learned a lot in the proces

Best regards,

Bobi

November 18th, 2015 07:00

Thanks for the find, I'm still having same issue when trying to restore from recovery db (exchange dag 2013)

i checked the registry and NTLM was configured.

No help with EMC at all still

April 26th, 2018 02:00

I have upgraded from exchange Networker client 8.1.1.5 build.306 and NMM 3.0.1.2.298 and networker server 9.0.1.8 build 754 to new versions server 9.2.1.2 build 204 and exchange client 9.2.1.2 build 204 and NMM 9.2.1.194 .

Upgrade was Next->Finish . Server is working ok but NO backups of exchange database is possible. After one week trouble shotting

find out that not all of the files were installed for new NMM. There were missing files such as nsrnmmsv.exe. Uninstalled everything networker related from echange servers. Rebooted servers and again installed 9.2.1 versions. Then I had to recreate backup job with new client with wizard on server, federated backup were failing and recreation fixed it. After that backups were working OK.

After backup I had to test restore operation with RDB recover. Of course restore is not working. MAPI error.

One week later I have found the issue. With the help of mfcmapi.exe find below key and change to hex:13

Propery Name(s): PR_PROFILE_RPC_PROXY_SERVER_FLAGS,PR_ROH_FLAGS

NOK

hex:0x0000000011

ROHFLAGS_USE_ROH|PRXF_IGNORE_SEC_WARNING

OK

hex:0x0000000013

ROHFLAGS_USE_ROH|ROHFLAGS_SSL_ONLY|PRXF_IGNORE_SEC_WARNING

After that RDB restores works ok. Hope it heplps others

Best regards,

bobi

No Events found!