Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2011 07:00

Restoring the index from 7.4.2 with 7.6.1 and nsrck

Hello

After the update of the NetWorker 7.4.2 to 7.6.1 I can not restore the existing indexes from old tapes with the command:

nsrck -t "MM/DD/YYYY" -L7 clientname

Is there any possibility to restore and convert the old index, so that the Networker 7.6.1 can read the index or I have to use the scanner command.

With the scanner command it tooks 2 hours for rebuild the new index.

Is there no possibility to convert the old index?

Thanks a lot

240 Posts

February 10th, 2011 10:00

Please clarify something for me: are you looking to merge hte information concerning backup savesets and media into NW 7.6.1 or are you looking to restore an entire version of the database?

If the issue is to merge the data into the existing (7.6.1) database, then all you need to do is to follow this proceedure:

How to recover data from outside of retention policy - EMC KB esg52699

update the index and media database.

Run the following command to load the volume:

nsrjb -lnv -S (slot#) -f (device_name)
Then run the following to rebuild the media database and client file indexes for the entire volume:

scanner -iv (device_name)

-c client_name can also be used to update the index only for a particular client.

This will make save sets browsable which can be recovered from GUI or the recover command as normal recovery.

2. Recover the data but update only the media database (saveset recover).

Then run:

scanner -mv (device_name)

3. If updating index and media database is not required and only have to restore a saveset of file directly from the tape use this command. For this the save set ID should be known to the user.

To recover the entire saveset:

scanner -s save_set_id device_name | uasm -rv

To recover a single file:

scanner -s save_set_id device_name | uasm -rv filename

Please note the following concerning the above commands:

The scanner command reads NetWorker media, such as backup tapes or disks, to
confirm the contents of a volume, to extract a save set from a volume, or to rebuild the
NetWorker online indexes.

The nsrjb program manages resources in two broad classes of jukeboxes, remotely

managed jukeboxes and locally managed jukeboxes.

Also, here is some information on the nsrck command:

nsrck is used to check the consistency of the NetWorker online index of clients’ save
records.

If this is NOT what you are looking to do, please provide me with more details on what you are looking to perform.

Thank you,

Mark

240 Posts

February 10th, 2011 10:00

The speed of the scanner process depends a great deal on the amount of information on the tape. It is, however, the best process for gaining access to the information.

February 10th, 2011 15:00

In theory recovery of indexes should be backwards-compatible - certainly from the information you gave in the other thread my assumption is that the index was from a 7.4.2 server (the client was 7.2 but the indexes are located on the backup server and dependent on the version there) - there should be no radical changes to the index format between those two versions and no reasons why the older index cannot be recovered into the current media database.

I would suggest to try doing the restore again but first run a check on the index with nsrck -L6 clientname to fix any potential corruption and then nsrck -L7 -t date clientname to recover the index.  I would also suggest using mminfo to find the date of the next index backup at level full after the date you want to recover and using this as your -t parameter.

240 Posts

February 11th, 2011 05:00

I didn't realize there was an issue restoring the data to the client If this is the case, I need a little information on any error messages that are being given.

If this is a major problem that is not worked out with Daves nsrck commands (which should resolve any corruption issues), I would suggest calling EMC Support and getting live help on the phone.

However, I beleive that the issue should be resolved with the commands listed above.

Mark

February 11th, 2011 06:00

From what I can gather here Mark, the problem is not recovering the data which has been recovered after the index has been rebuilt.  The problem is that the index is not being recovered by nsrck -L7 (even though it appears to complete successfully).  I would agree that if the simple checks did not resove the problem that an EMC engineer is engaged to assist on the problem as we have yet to identify the exact nature of the issue and where it lies through the forum.

240 Posts

February 11th, 2011 07:00

If this is the case, then yes – I would say it would be best to contact EMC support.

Be sure to reference the KB article that you followed for this process.

Mark Bellows

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

March 9th, 2011 20:00

EMS-Services wrote:

Hello

After the update of the NetWorker 7.4.2 to 7.6.1 I can not restore the existing indexes from old tapes with the command:

nsrck -t "MM/DD/YYYY" -L7 clientname

Is there any possibility to restore and convert the old index, so that the Networker 7.6.1 can read the index or I have to use the scanner command.

With the scanner command it tooks 2 hours for rebuild the new index.

Is there no possibility to convert the old index?

Thanks a lot

Out of curiousity, when you check the mdb for index saveset for that client, do you see it marked as recoverable with valid ssretent?

No Events found!