Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2016 02:00

SQL Restore - Could not find directory continuation

Hi,

I'm having issues restoring saveset before a certain point - in this case 24/03 3.00 am.
When I change the mark it gives me the message:

16236:nwmssql: Could not find directory continuation //<84>/

Now a few weeks ago, I was restoring the same DB's from the same instance and even older datasets and it did work! However, this is a clustered SQL instance and we're having massive issues with that cluster. But that shouldn't affect the historical backups?2.JPG.jpg

Our whole environment is running on 8.2.1.6 (.806). Any ideas?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 13th, 2016 05:00

I would open a ticket with support for this.  I have seen this with nsrauth long time ago, but I have seen it with some older SQL module versions where 2GB chunks were created and that caused issues (at some point there was article about it in KB).  Not sure with what version your backup was made, but more experienced support person will be able to connect the strings and check it out.

April 13th, 2016 09:00

Yep will try to open up a support ticket (new member to site, a bit of administrative hassles still need to be straightened out)

Also tried nsrck -L6 seeing it seems to be related to the indexes, but this didn't help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 30th, 2016 23:00

Hi Dirk,

i have now the exact same issue and wondering if got a solution for this?

Thanks

4 Posts

August 25th, 2016 00:00

Hi Dirk,

Same issue i have also here, have you find any possible solution for this kind of error?

What EMC said abut this?

Thanks.

August 25th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Never got a real solution, however the issue seemed to be related to the GUI - a workaround is doing the restores command line, then it will work correctly. In the rare case where I had this issue I simply used the workaround when needed.

3 Posts

June 1st, 2017 09:00

I am having this same issue, basically a year later and this is the only post I can find on the topic.  Is there really no solution to this issue?  I'm new to Networker, taking on a process left by someone that moved on when I got here.   I don't know any of the command line and barely know the GUI.  Surely they has to be a fix for this.  :/

263 Posts

June 1st, 2017 11:00

The original poster was using NMM 8.2.1.x when he encountered this issue.

The workaround was to recover using the command nsrsqlrc to perform a command line recovery.

Since that particular version, there has been improvements to the NMM product.  I would suggest upgrading your NetWorker client and NMM software to a more recent version, and see if the problem returns.  Please follow the link to:

ftp://ftp.legato.com/pub/NetWorker/NMM/Cumulative_Hotfixes/

and select the version that you are currently using, and then download the latest for that branch.  If you are using NMM 8.2.1.x, then you could try NMM 8.2.2.6.

Release notes for NMM 8.2.x are found at:

https://support.emc.com/docu57651_NetWorker-Module-for-Microsoft-Release-8.2-Service-Packs-Release-Notes.pdf?language=en_US

3 Posts

June 1st, 2017 15:00

Thank you Wallace.

I'll have to find out if that is an option for us.  The version being used is 8.2.0.1.479, so admittedly not the same as the latest release.  Having no experienced person in-house that would do an upgrade on NetWorker, which is doing many backups, is a whole other issue.  Not a warm fuzzy at all.  On one SQL Server instance it is displaying and responding properly, and on the other, it is having the error in this post.  Both servers running the same OS on nearly identical hardware (clustered servers but one has a little more memory).

53 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 01:00

Suggest you to refer the below video created by DellEMC on SQL Restores.

How to Retrieve SQL Database when Meta Saveset is missing in NetWorker Server - YouTube

Hope this helps!!

Thanks,

Elango C

263 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 08:00

This video is actually demonstrating on how to make the SQL VDI backups browsable.

The "meta data" it talks about is actually the NetWorker client file index.

53 Posts

June 5th, 2017 05:00

The video has been created to demostrate to restore a SQL backup when UI browsing is not possible (NMM will not be able to browe the backup when Meta data / Meta saveset is not available.  Additionally, this video clearly explains on how to fetch the savetime for the SQL command line restore.

Thanks,

Elango C

1 Message

July 28th, 2017 04:00

Same issue exists in our environment , do we have any fix for this issue 

3 Posts

August 8th, 2017 07:00

I ended up having to do a Command Prompt (DOS) level restore.  The UI would not work.  I am not in a position where I can do the recommended upgrade to the software that may have fixes in it.  We have no onsite Networker person.  It's now on our radar to have to get that part addressed.

No Events found!