Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2020 02:00

SQL Server Backups T-SQL vs ddboost commands

Hello,

I'm new on this ddboost and networker world

My question is more from SQL Server DBA point of view.

This ddboost is wonderful and we can use it, like disks cifs (windows) or ntfs (linux) or ddboost (don't care), rigth? As we see it as a local disk, witch is the best approach for backups? Use T-SQL scripts/commands or use ddboost networker commands directly?

And, is better those database backups stays in DBA side or in networker side? I prefere the first one.

Thanks

Paulo

2.4K Posts

August 7th, 2020 05:00

Once installed, DDBoost is completely transparent from the NW point of view - you backup to a DDBoost media of a NW backup pool.

How you backup SQL databases is a different story - it might almost become phylosophical. In my last job we were lucky to have a bunch of SQL DBAs who worked via their own scripts. They exported the DBs to a local disk where they remained for about 2 days. From here we just backed up files using NW and a DD. This method has several advantages where IMHO these are the most important ones:

-  SQL backups are decoupled from NW backups. This is very helpful if the backup infrastructure must be maintained.

-  SQL DBAs usually do not need complete backups but xlog files to repair/adjust/change the status of a DB. As long as they are available on a local disk, the action can take place immediately - even without the backup admins.

The only caveat of course is that you must provide some additional disk space to your SQL servers. But I have heard of a company which can easily sell you more, if you need them

August 7th, 2020 05:00

Thanks bingo.1, excelent answer.

So, database backups stays in DBA side, perfect. It will be also DBA who defines the RETENTION POLICY and for 6 months or 1 year I'll need some additional disk space.

But for deduplication, it remains on networker side (fast and efficient)

Thanks

Paulo

No Events found!