Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2008 14:00

SQL transaction logs hangs at contacting client

Hiyas,

I have setup a SQL group and can backup with no problems doing fulls. In my SQL Logs group that runs the incrementals to shrink the logs, it will say no full of the database and attempt to run a full backup. It then just sits at contacting client and does nothing. I am stumped, I have tried to force full and incr to no avail. Same client in the SQL group backs up with no issue. any ideas on what is going on?

thanks

724 Posts

March 4th, 2008 09:00

Hi Thomas,

Are you saying that if you move your client from one group to another, "SQL Logs" to "SQL", it will work? Only group change should not do this, have you tried to re-create the SQL Logs group?

And just to confirm, are you using Nw module for SQL?

13 Posts

March 4th, 2008 15:00

I have two groups. SQL for full database backup and SQL Logs for incremental backups. yes I am using NW Module for SQL 5.1 and Networker 7.4

The client backs up fine in SQL. When it runs in SQL Logs it just hangs at contacting client.

27 Posts

March 4th, 2008 23:00

First, review the log file of both server and client, I mean /nsr/logs/daemon.log & messages, and verify for any error or warning message for that specific client, if you find any write them here.
Second, I don't see any reason using two different groups for this strategy, you can easily use one group and schedule per days for any desired backups type. I use multiple SQL servers and NW modules and also Clustered SQLs and don't have any reasons to use 2 different groups.
Please write back the verification results.

86 Posts

March 10th, 2008 09:00

Stupid question. Are the Databases you are trying to backup configured in SQL as Full or Simple? If Simple then the only level of Backup possible is Full.

Secondly, make sure the account configured in Networker has SA rights in SQL. You can get away with "Local System" sometimes for a Full backup but it will not work for a TLog backup.

Thanks,

Dana
No Events found!