This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2009 07:00

Save set: All - VSS Problem

NW server: 7.4.4
server OS: SuSe
NW client: 7.4.4
client OS: Windows Server 2008 SP2
Save set: All

Getting these kinds of problems when doing backups of servers running Windows Server 2008. Anyone know a fix for this?

39078:save: RPC error: RPC send operation failed. A network connection could not be established with the host.

System Writer - ERROR: Failed to save xml file = C:\Windows\TEMP\System Writer.13142150935.xml

39078:save: RPC error: RPC send operation failed. A network connection could not be established with the host.

System Writer - ERROR: Failed to save additional System Writer files for the Vista or Longhorn platform, writer = System Writer
System Writer - Error saving writer System Writer
System Writer - ERROR: Aborting backup of saveset VSS SYSTEM FILESET: because of the error with writer System Writer.
System Writer - Error saving

16 Posts

August 14th, 2009 13:00

I'm not sure if the RPC error and the VSS errors are related. The RPC error is just telling you that something caused a timeout and finished the communication between the NW client and the server. This is the client telling you "I'm sending -sent- data, but no one is listening from the NW server side".

The VSS SYSTEM FILESET, perhaps you want to check the status of all your writers with vssadmin list writers and make sure none of them is giving any errors, but I believe there have been at least one known issue similar to your problem. I recommend you to open an SR with EMC support.

36 Posts

August 19th, 2009 03:00

Got rid of the problem by using 7.4.3 version. Might try 7.4.5 at some point.
No Events found!