Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2017 06:00

Savegroup Failure Email Notification - Message Delivered as .bin file

Greetings

Networker Server configured on Cent OS.  I have the Savegroup Failure Email Notification configured an 25 percent of the backup failures I get, the savegroup failure email notification delivers the failure message as a .bin file instead of in the body of the email itself.  Does anybody know the fix to this

the notification I am using is: /bin/mail -s "Networker Backup Group Failures" EmailAddress

263 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 08:00

A possible reason is explained in the Dell EMC knowledge base article:

Savegroup completion mail notifications are sent with ATT00001.bin file

https://support.emc.com/kb/460153

While generating the email notification stream, input will also be collected from client side binaries. Sometimes there are possibilities that some special characters are added to the stream. Mail command can t process these special characters under text format and treats the same as binary content. Due to this, entire notification content will be sent as attachment with .bin extension.

Example : CR or ^M characters presence in the savegrp report

I have found 2 workarounds:

1. Download and use dos2unix utility, which can convert text file line endings between CRLF and LF.  example

/usr/bin/dos2unix | /bin/mail -s "Networker Backup Group Failures" EmailAddress

2.     follow the kb article's solution, as described in https://support.emc.com/kb/460153

Modify the notification action as bellow.

/nsr/notification.sh "Networker Server's savegroup '${NSR group}' failure" root

You can change 'root' with any other email ID. Only one entry/email ID will be passed to script.

Create the '/nsr/notification.sh' file on the Networker Server and copy the bellow content.

#!/bin/bash

tee |tr -d "\r" |mail -s "$1" $2

Make sure file has executable permission.( chmod 777 notification.sh)

Test the notification. We should get the notification without the attachment. Using this script we are parsing the special character "^M"

Hope this helps...   good luck.

15 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 10:00

Thanks, I installed dos2unix and updated the notification action to include /usr/bin/dos2unix | at the beginning.  To test used ^M as the save set as well as a lot of other special characters.  I received an email without an attachment. 

Thanks for your help

263 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 18:00

you're welcome.   glad to help.

cheers...

No Events found!