Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2016 05:00

Schedule overrides using "last Xday every month"

I feel the need to post this warning after identifying the potential to loss of backups due to this issue.

As most people reading here know, NetWorker supports the capability to run a schedule override using a manually entered format such as "Full first Thursday every month".  Many of us may also be using "Full last Thursday every month" as an override.  I've set this here recently and it works. 

Mostly.

If you run a schedule of "Full last Thursday every month", then check your calendar way into the future.  This is working for me every month *EXCEPT* where the last day of the month is a Wednesday, in which case there's a 50/50 chance whether it will implement the override that month or not.  As set, this will leave 2 of my monthly backups as level "skip" by the end of 2017.

I've had a case open with EMC regarding this, and the response from engineering under escalation 25816 is that "last" is not a documented option therefore is not supported (neither are a number of NetWorker features, such as nsrdispd; NetWorker's Dispatcher Service Daemon).  As such, I'd personally recommend asking your EMC Sales Rep for a discount on your support contract as it's now a requirement to purchase an external scheduler at an additional cost to compensate for unsupported basic functions in the NetWorker scheduler as per their statements in escalation reference 25816 (Engineering tend to focus more when revenue may be affected).

The identification of "last Xday" is a programming exercise in some places (the code for this is on https://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/Last_Friday_of_each_month for example).  This should be a basic feature of a product whose functionality requires scheduling, but until it's there in NetWorker, the only supported option is to create a manual override for every date in every month (probably fetched using the code on the link above if you're going to script this via nsradmin) on every affected schedule.

No Responses!
No Events found!