Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2010 03:00

Storage Node loses its library inventory

Dear,

I have this strange problem with a storage node that when everything seems alright (logs, events, messages) backups on the storage node are failing because of the fact that the storage node loses the tape information, thus leaving (most of) the tapes . I already reconfigured the storage node's library a few times, re-labeled tapes, checked the media db for inconsistencies, patched the server and storage node to 7.6.0.3, did some other tests with sji to check if there were no hardware problems.

When running an inventory, everything shows up normal and I can backup again for a while.

Any ideas?

55 Posts

May 10th, 2010 21:00

Hi Phil,

Is this behaviour displayed only by the library connected to the storage node or is it also for the library connected to the networker server also? I would recommend you to do a controlled scavanging of the media database.

HTH,

Rovin D'Souza.

22 Posts

May 11th, 2010 21:00

Hi Phil,

Is it Happening to a particular devices & is the SN is of windows flavour , If yes check the drive ordering for these drives.

Also verify that the verify label on inload option os checked in the JB properties.

Regards

30 Posts

May 12th, 2010 03:00

Thank you for your input.

I ran checks on the index and media database (nsrim -X, nsrck -L6) and removed duplicate volumes.

The Storage Node is configured on a Windows 2003.

The library is only attached to the Storage Node and only has one tape device.

The behaviour is only on the Storage Node.

When running one of the inventories I checked the option 'verify label'.

At the moment I took an inventory again and the backup is running fine. Only when the scheduled backup runs, the volumes become unlabeled ...

181 Posts

May 13th, 2010 02:00

Hi phil ,

How the Storage Node connected to the Networker server , Kindly check there are two Ip has been configured for the Storage Node , because i face the same Problem i do configured two IP in the storage node and even its not in the DHCP Because of that it gets disconnected immediately . if you try to take inventory all tapes will show lalbeled and after few min all the tape will go the unlablled state rite .

Rajesh S 

30 Posts

May 14th, 2010 00:00

Yep, that is the bevahiour we are facing too ...

The Storage Node has two fixed IPs; one is for the backup (10.0.0.6 (backup over VPN) ) and the other is for the internal services it provides (192.168.100.80) . The firewall logs are clean concerning the backup, no dropped/rejected packets or timeouts.

I committed two changes: network performance tuning (to prevent connection time outs, just in case) according the procedure from the networker procedure generator and I disabled the nsrauth authentication method (esg110616:  GSS Authentication can cause inter-process connectivity issues) . Fingers crossed :-) .

181 Posts

May 14th, 2010 01:00

Then you can add both the IP in the etc/host entry and remove the Storage node and again add the storage node once again and try to take inventory ,Hopefully this will work . Once this has not worked ,  then remove one Ip and again add the storage Node , Atleast we can come in Conculsion what makes the issue . I have done in my setup like removed one IP and added the NIC in the Bonding . Then it has worked fine .

Rajesh S 

30 Posts

May 14th, 2010 01:00

Thanks Rajesh for the information.

In fact, the hosts' files (and /nsr/res/servers of the SN) of the server/storage nodes are the first things I configure in a NetWorker environment to avoid dns problems. But, it is good to point out to remove and re-add the storage node and configure the hosts file first with one IP. I will try that. I am glad to hear it worked for your environment.

Regards.

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2010 05:00

Hi,

since this is a windows server, make sure the removable storage service is disabled. If windows is somehow accessing the library, this may mess up Networker's information about it.

30 Posts

June 3rd, 2010 01:00

Hello,

I disabled the Removable storage services (when I installed NetWorker) . Although I did not resolved the issue yet, 'coz I am on a project with a deadline, I have a clue which is pointing in the direction of HP Insight management software. Probably I will pick up this issue tomorrow and will update later on. Thanks for thinking with me.

No Events found!