Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 30th, 2015 05:00

TSM to Networker migration

I would like to know if it is at all possible to "migrate" a TSM database to the Networker nsr environment.

The project would be to replace and existing TSM infrastructure with Networker.

2.4K Posts

October 30th, 2015 14:00

There is probably a chance - especially if I think at NW 9 where NW now uses a SQL db for the media index.

But you should get in touch with EMC support to find out.

14.3K Posts

October 31st, 2015 15:00

I don't think it is possible.  Part of company I work for did this couple of years ago and approach there was to start utilize NW for regular backups as you would usually and all long-term stuff we restored to temporary share and backed up with NetWorker again.

7 Posts

November 13th, 2015 10:00

it's impossible.. We did the transition from TSM to NW.

TSM DB is DB2 ( TSM 6 and +) or b-tree ( TSM 5.5 and lower).. that it's really not compatible with Networker. TSM is incremental + versioning and NW is the good old Full+ incr/diff setup. 2 totally different view of backup.

We did it the hard way..

We migrate the client from one system to the other ( 1000+ client)

And if you ask me if I would go back to TSM... NEVER!!!!!!!!!! and I'm a 15 years TSM admin!

We still have our TSM server for backup that will expire in the next 7 years!

December 4th, 2015 03:00

As per my point of view it is not possible. Both the tool is having completely different architecture. So we should not think for that also.

25 Posts

December 8th, 2015 10:00

This is not possible.  Same for other backup vendor.  I am working on a backup migration project.  They are migrating from CV to NetWorker.  We have to create share to recover some of the yearly CommVault backup and have those re-backup by new NetWorker server, mainly security logs.  For the short retention backup, we just leave the infrastructure there and wait for them to expire. 

No Events found!