Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2017 16:00

Tape Volumes view not updating

Hello,

I inherited an environment containing Networker 8.2.2.5 (build 978) and after a recent power shutdown, the Media > Tape Volumes view no longer updates as expected. I am very new to Networker and only just beginning to learn how to use it.

When I remove tapes, the view does not reflect the newly inserted tapes and the same occurs when I add new tapes.

The Devices  > Networker server (Name) > Libraries > (tape machine) view does show the tapes correctly, but this view does not provide the retention information helpful for deciding which tapes to remove, etc.

Ideas on where I might want to look to fix this?

Thanks,

Michael

263 Posts

August 17th, 2017 03:00

Was the recent power shutdown expected and scheduled?  Or was it a power loss event?

Aside from the volume list, does anything else in NMC appear to be missing or otherwise displaying incorrect?

The volume retention information is displayed when you go to   Media > Tape Volumes

How are you add or remove tapes?  In the Device screen, are you using the Deposit/Withdraw option along with the jukebox's import/export (mailbox) slot?

Alternatively, are you opening the jukebox door and manually inserting/removing volumes?  If so, are you using the Reset and Inventory option (found in the Device screen)? 

Side note:  It is not necessary to inventory a blank tape.

8 Posts

August 21st, 2017 11:00

The shutdown was controlled. We had a scheduled power outage, so shut everything down gracefully. However, since we brought it all back up, we missed a few backups as the Jukebox was somehow disabled. That and the media view now no longer updates automatically.

When removing and adding tapes I have not been doing anything. It's a Qualstar jukebox. I just unlock and remove the cassette. When inserted again, it automatically scans everything, but the media view does not update as expected. Before the shutdown, I swear it used to update automatically.

I looked at the options you mentioned (add/remove), etc. and found I could not invoke them without logging in as the admin user (even though my user account has full rights). When I get a chance, I will try this.

Thanks,

Michael

14.3K Posts

August 28th, 2017 05:00

Next time you add/remove tapes, do nsrjb -HvE and then nsrjb -IIv and see if that makes any difference.

September 9th, 2017 08:00

Hi I'm having an issue likely.

We've upgraded a NW from 8.1 to 8.2 and then to 9.1. We have a PTL and VTL that are connected to a SW SAN.

Backups and restores work fine but we recently add and remove physical tapes and these changes doesnt reflect to the NW GUI. Also, this behavior is happening at VTL.

If we run nsrjb -HvE it does refresh the changes... but after adding new tapes it doesnt refresh automatically so we have to apply this command nsrjb -HvE again and so on.

Any thoughts? I have opened a case with support.

14.3K Posts

September 11th, 2017 02:00

Removing and re-adding tapes is done using nsrjb?

No Events found!