Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2015 05:00

Tape not loading during recover

I was running a DR test on a remote site and when I ran the recover command it would not load the tape.

Am I correct in assuming that it is supposed to load the tape or is it something I need to do manually?

It knew where the tape was and even said it was near-line but never loaded it.

The jukebox worked fine for inventory and everything else but not recover

Any help is appreciated

253 Posts

December 8th, 2015 03:00

Turns out that there was a bad tape drive.

What happened is during the inventory it would load the tape into the bad tape drive and get an error

Then it would put the tape into off-line

To fix it I disabled the drive and reran the inventory, everything worked perfect after that

2.4K Posts

The key point is the "Location" field - it it is not set, which is usually done with the first move in the jukebox (usually from a CAP to the storage area) then NW will not 'see' it and show you a media waiting message.

To solve that issue ...

- select the volume

- run an 'Inventory' and check the option "Force load and verify labels"

2.4K Posts

Look at your pool properties - especially if you enabled a pool for certain devices.

If none of those can be used at this time, NW of course cannot take action and overrule your settings.

Keep in mind that you can inventory a tape in every compatible drive because you do not mount it.

However, to recover from a tape NW needs to mount it (in one of the pool specific tape drives).

253 Posts

I did an inventory with Force Load with the NMC and even a nsrjb -I

They worked fine, loaded the tapes and showed everything correctly (Pools, Size, etc.)

When I ran recover I ran it like this (not actual log)

recover -c ashley

add /

It came back with 5000+ files so I did

recover

It came back with (might not be exact word for word)

Waiting on Volume TR0003L4 Status: Near-Line,

waiting 30 seconds and retry

And it kept repeating until I aborted it

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

@Larry Alexis,

Check if there is any ansrd process running on the backup server. If yes, then kill the ansrd and retry the restore.

253 Posts

December 1st, 2015 06:00

I am pretty sure (my test ended Sunday so I cannot check) there were no devices specific to the pool as in the original but I cannot be sure

253 Posts

December 1st, 2015 09:00

What is the nsradmin command to check the pool

2.4K Posts

December 1st, 2015 11:00

. type: nsr pool; name:

p

Maybe you need to switch on hidden attributes with "option hidden" which toggles this option.

253 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 04:00

Another problem is the response time, it literally takes 10 to 15 minutes for any response to just about any Networker command

253 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 04:00

Okay, so I probably shouldn't have done this but they made the system available again

I reinstalled all of Networker on the server, even as far as deleting all the old stuff

I reran scanner

I ran nsrjb -Ip and it found the library and all the tapes

I ran nseck -L7 and got

then I ran

so I checked nsradmin

I am at a bit of a loss to explain why this is happening

As always, any help is appreciated

2.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 05:00

With these response times, something else is terribly wrong (name resolution?)

But coming back to the original problem - did you notice at all that the volume is off-line? - How do you expect NW to load an offline tape? Look at the first line of your screenshot or

run "mminfo -q family=tape -r volume,avail"

If there is no 'n' appearing in the 'avl' column, the volume cannot be accessed.

2.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 06:00

And what about the tape problem?

253 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 06:00

You are right, I changed the netsvc.conf to only local and response times are much faster

253 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 07:00

Now, I have started the NMC and it works well except the Devices tab where I get this

I have made changes in the users configuration to include the workstation that has the NMC but still get this

It will not see the jukebox now

I know the jukebox itself is on another subnet but I am not sure if that makes any difference

If it does, let me know so I can fix

253 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 08:00

If it sees it and it is in the jukebox how to I make it available from the command line?

No Events found!