Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2015 17:00

Unable to configure storage node

We're replacing our aging Windows 2003 server/Storage Node with a 2012 Server.   I have the 2012 server installed as a storage node and have added it via the Networker Console, but I am unable to configure it's tape device.   I keep getting the message "Cannot create device; storage node enabler required".  Normally I take errors like this at face value, but I have already deleted the 2003 storage node so I should have enough enablers (we have two storage node licenses).   The License Conformance Summary indicated that I'm still using two storage node licenses, even though I am only using one.

2.4K Posts

January 24th, 2015 09:00

You will find temp enablers in table 5 of the NW 8.2 Licensing Guide. I have not checked earlier versions.

In general, enablers are not version dependent.

The fact that the GUI displays some weird licensing info could result from the fact that the first enabler has been entered at a time where no dedicated storage node license were available.

Let me guess that you will in fact see 2 different part numbers when you run the following command:

nsrcap -nvv -c

In fact, you must not necessarily degrade the software on the storage node. Removing the remote devices should be enough. The remaining binaries do not harm as the background programs will just be started if you configured such device.

However, on a UNIX/Linux host, you can easily remove the package.

Finally, it is best practice to have at server and storage node running on the same version. And as crazyrov mentioned, your current version is not supported any longer. Support for NW 7.6.x ended 02/28/2014.

2.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2015 22:00

In the Licensing Guide you will find temp enablers which will help you temporarily.

I can imagine that the problem exists due to the fact that you still have R/W devices configured to the old SN.

So try to change that.

Next I would disable/delete the devices at the old SN.

If you can,delete the old SN from the list and add him as a client.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 01:00

When you deleted old storage node, did you remove devices and storage node definition under Media as well?

8 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 09:00

Bingo, I did not know about the temp enablers.   Thank you.   I have removed the configured devices for the old SN and deleted the SN altogether.  However, your post reminded my that I have not re-run the installer package on the old SN to switch it there from a SN to a client only.   I suspect it is a licensing issue, so I will work on that.  Thanks for the tips.

Hrvoje, I have removed the devices from the media and SN.    Thanks for the response.  

8 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 14:00

I don't find any temporary enabler codes int the 7.6.1 licensing guide.  I did find that the old SN had itself listed on some of it's client entries, I removed those and the license conformance summary says I have 1 of 2 Dedicated Storage Node licenses available.  However, I still cant re-configure the device on the library as it insists that I need another Storage Node license.  One thing is curious even though I have 1 free Dedicated Storage Node license free, the Conformance Summary says I am using 1 Storage Node License as well.    At this point, I'm going in circles.

BTW, the new SN is running Networker8.2 since it's Server2012 and won't run the earlier versions.  It looks like that combo is supported and it worked well enough as a regular client when I was testing it earlier.  Perhaps I have missed something?

thanks again for your help

1 Attachment

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 19:00

Dedicated storage node can take in backup data only from itself, but to configure a node as a dedicated storage node it has to be first configured as a storage node. Also, However even if you get the storag enode configured this set will not work as your backups server is on 7.6.1 and you are setting up a storage nod with 8.2 installed on it. You will have to upgrade your backup server first for this to work. Moreover you are already sitting on a obsolete version of NetWorker so an upgrade is highly recommended.

Reach out to the support for a temporary Storage Node enabler or you pass your email address and i could send you one.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2015 10:00

Thank you both for helping me to unravel this.   I was looking at the 7.6 licensing guide, I see the temp enablers now in the 8.2 guide.   This is uncharted territory for me.  Our Networker admin retired a while back and I inherited the responsibilities.

-Mats

No Events found!