Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2014 08:00

Unable to restore VM using VADP proxy

I am trying to restore a backup of a virtual machine into a new Virtual Center setup.

The backup was made with a virtual VADP Proxy running NetWorker 7.6.3.5 build 891 on Windows Server 2008R2.

The restore I'm trying is from a physical VADP Proxy running NetWorker 8.1.1.2 build 280  on Windows Server 2008R2. This is also a storage node. The original backup was done through this storage node.

The VM was running on ESX 5.0.

The target ESX is running ESX 5.5. This target is one of two new ESX hosts in a separate VC.

The restore starts, but I get this (some names have been changed):

Recovering files of client 'restoretest5.domain.local' from server 'networkerserver.domain.local'.

Connecting to host virtualcenter:443.

Assuming recovery to VC system.

Recovering to remote/new VC system.

Recovering to remote/new ESX host system.

libCURL SSL support is ENABLED

NetWorker install path: C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\.

Temporary Directory for VADP created.

Temporary vmMntLoc Directory for VADP created.

Initializing VimServer...

VimServer is initialized

Volumes needed (all near-line):

Q2V004 at rd=storagenode.domain.local:Q2-VTL01

Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 82 MB.

Requesting 5 file(s), this may take a while...

Recover start time: 2014-03-19 15:45:48

Received 5 file(s) from NSR server `networkerserver.domain.local'

Recover completion time: 2014-03-19 15:45:49

Requesting 1 recover session(s) from server.

C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\tmp\1260844827\1\diskBitmap_0

C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\tmp\1260844827\1\Disks

C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\tmp\1260844827\1\metaFile_C

C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\tmp\1260844827\1\reference_C

C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\tmp\1260844827\1\vm_config.xml

Error The following internal error occurred: Unable to import Virtual Machine configuration: Expecting element , but found element .

Restore of virtual machine failed!...

Completion time: 2014-03-19 15:45:50

Total time taken: 0 hr(s) 00 min(s) 14 sec(s)

: Expecting element , but found element .

I'm reading the manual for the VMware integration, and this paragraph caught my eye:

The VMware converter must be installed on the VADP proxy host machine if you need

to recover backups made prior to NetWorker 7.6 Service Pack 2. If the VMware

converter is not installed, the save set of the full virtual machine (FULLVM save set)

can be recovered using a traditional NetWorker recovery.

I think I'm at least at 7.6 sp2 by using 7.6.3.5 build 891, but there might be some other unknown issue. It does indeed look like a bug.

75 Posts

March 20th, 2014 05:00

Sounds like a vcenter error to me, have you changed vcenter versions?

79 Posts

March 20th, 2014 07:00

Yes, the backup came from a Virtual Center 5.0, the restore is to a Virtual Center 5.5.

75 Posts

March 20th, 2014 08:00

Have you tried to do a saveset recover? You could recover the FULLVM saveset to a folder on local disk and check the files for the string it complains about. I'd also try using vmware converter, it might work.

/tony

May 19th, 2014 01:00

cmorrall

I have the same problem, or maybe you already have any solution??

Greg

79 Posts

May 19th, 2014 03:00

Since I could restore the VMs from the old virtual VADP Proxy I never investigated further. I have moved to a new virtual center, running 5.5u1 and I have tested restores within this environment. So far I'm happy restores are working.

Probably was asking too much to restore backups using a different version of NetWorker and chaning from a virtual to a physical VADP Proxy and into a newer version of Virtual Center.

3 Posts

May 19th, 2014 04:00

Hi,

try to restore just the vmdk file; without the VADP Proxy.

(Save set recoer:  recover -S )

You can mount the restored vmdk file to another virutaal or a new temporay virtual machine, but you must create a config - see the link

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1002511

Regards

mainstorconcept

79 Posts

May 27th, 2014 03:00

Revisisting this thread, since the restore issue has come up again. Now with newer versions of NetWorker and Virtual Center / ESX,but I can't restore some VMs. Many work, but some don't.

I tried "recover -S -d temp_folder" but I get an error "91207:recover: Required parameter is not specified; use '-o' option for vadp recovery."

I have also tried the full syntax and the restore starts, but errors out with:

"

82865:nsrvadp_recover: Failed to register the VM.

74854:nsrvadp_recover: The following VMware related error occured: Unable to reconfigure VM 'TESTVM'.  Details: 'An error occurred for task 'ReconfigVM

_Task'.  Details: The operation is not allowed in the current state.'.

I specified the -d paramter, but this folder gets deleted automatically and I never get a chance to examine the details. Also, according to the manual, this staging area is only used for pre 7.6 backups, quote:

"staging-location is the staging location path to recover the FULLVM image to the

proxy. This value is needed only for a recovery to staging location and applies only

to backups taken before NetWorker release 7.6 Service Pack 2."

August 3rd, 2014 23:00

Hi,

Are you still facing the recover issue, also is the version on proxy NetWorker 8.1.1.2 build 280  on Windows Server 2008R2 ?

79 Posts

August 4th, 2014 01:00

This issue was due to non-english characters in the VMs Annotations - Notes field and was resolved by patch NW161303 .

No Events found!