Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2014 20:00

Unable to restore VM using VADP proxy

• I am trying to restore a backup of a virtual machine into a new Virtual Center setup. .
  • The backup was made with a virtual VADP Proxy running NetWorker 8.1.1.2  on Windows Server 2008R2. The restore I'm trying is from a vritual VADP Proxy running NetWorker 8.1.1.2  on Windows Server 2008R2. .
  • The original backup was done through the backup server.  .
  • The VM was running on ESX 5.5. The target ESX is running ESX 5.5. This target is one of two new ESX hosts in a separate VC.
  • When i used the “save set restore” option ,unable to restore VM using VADP proxy。.

736 Posts

June 9th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

Have a look at the 'Recommendations and Considerations' for Image level recovery of a full VM in the NetWorker VMware Integration Guide page 125 to be sure that you have everything setup the way it has to be for this to work.  Check also that your name resolution is working between vCenter, ESX, NetWorker server and proxy.

If it still fails, copy here the full error message you are getting and we'll see if we can figure out what might be the problem.

-Bobby

20 Posts

June 9th, 2014 19:00

QQ截图20140610102205.jpg

736 Posts

June 10th, 2014 03:00

Hi,

This doesn't tell us what caused the recover failure.  You could check the hostd.log and networkr.raw to see if there is any further info there.  Also, try changing the transport mode to nbd which will rule out the possibility that it's the hotadd that's causing the problem.

-Bobby

7 Posts

June 11th, 2014 07:00

Does the VMWare proxy account have permissions to register a new VM on the target?

VADP Recovery Privileges:

Session

• Validate session

Global

• Cancel task
  • Licenses
  • Log Event
  • Settings

Tasks

• Create task
  • Update task

Setting Privileges Global

• Cancel task
  • License
  • Log Event
  • Settings

Resource

• Assign virtual machine to resource pool

Datastore

• Allocate space
  • Browse datastore
  • Low level file operations
  • Remove file

Virtual machine>Inventory

• Register
  • Remove
  • Unregister

Virtual machine>Configuration

• Add existing disk
  • Add new disk
  • Add or Remove device
  • Advanced
  • Change CPU count
  • Change Resource
  • Disk change Tracking
  • Disk Lease
  • Extend virtual disk
  • Host USB device
  • Memory
  • Modify device setting
  • Raw device
  • Reload from path
  • Remove disk
  • Rename
  • Reset guest information
  • Settings
  • Swapfile placement
  • Upgrade virtual machine compatibility

These configuration only account for recovery settings.

Hope this helps.

Robert

79 Posts

June 12th, 2014 05:00

I have the same problem. For many of my VMs, the restore works just fine but for a handful it errors out just like the error message you posted, bar the non-english text.

Since I can restore other VMs, this leads me to the conclusion that I indeed have the correct privileges, there are no firewalls blocking communication and there is nothing systematically wrong with my setup.

I'm currently engaged with support in this matter.I will post any resolution they may come up with,

79 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 23:00

I may have found the issue. Can you please check in Virtual Center, for the VM(s) in question, the Annotations -> Notes free text field? Do you have any special or non-English characters there?

No Events found!