Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2015 12:00

Upgrade of NetWorker Server

Hi all,

We are currently using NetWorker 7.6.5 for our tape backups. Currently NetWorker is installed on a Windows Server 2008 64bit server. We are looking to upgrade this server to Windows 2012R2, and also to upgrade NetWorker to 8.2. The rebuilt server will have the same host name, be on the same domain and have the same IP address as it does currently. What would I need to do to make this process as painless as possible? I was thinking of following this process:

1. Back up mm, index and res directories from the original install.

2. Install Server 2012R2

3. Install NetWorker 7.6.5 on the new OS

4. Stop NetWorker services

5. Copy mm, index and res directories back to the new OS

6. Restart NetWorker services & confirm that NetWorker Console starts & all clients, schedules etc are visible

7. Install NetWorker 8.2 to upgrade NetWorker

Any thoughts, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

2.4K Posts

September 20th, 2015 01:00

Looks plausible to me.

Do not forget that you must later request new auth codes as this is nothing else but a host transfer.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 20th, 2015 02:00

My concern is step 3. I don't think NW7 server is supported nor it will run properly on win2k12.  So, I would rather update old server first and then copy data over to new one.

2.4K Posts

September 21st, 2015 06:00

Of course Hrvoje is correct.

On the other hand I do not see an issue with the OS in general - You will be able to install NW 7.6.5 on W2012R2 - i just verified that. Although I did not convert any databases, I do not see an issue here if this is just an interim solution.

If you have time you can of course test this with a standalone server first - you do not need extra backup hardware.

No Events found!