Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2011 03:00

VADP Backup only systemdisk

Hello,

I have several vmware-hosts (windows) with large disken. I want to have the possiblity to backup only the systemdisk (scsi0:0)

The documentation explains that *FULL* saveset backups the fullvm. But how to backup only the systemdisk?

Thanks in advanced,

Regards,

Antoine Schokker

November 4th, 2011 05:00

Bobby,

For example I have 3 virtual SQL-servers . I want to backup the SQL-server, the way it is installed and configured. The databases are not my concern, because these are backupped via the SQL-backuptools. But I want the possibility to recover the server itself.

These servers have the follwing disks:

C:\ -> SYSTEM

D:\ -> DATA

E:\ -> SWAP

The C:-drive is the only drive I want to backup, for the systemconfiguration, but I want the VMware-definition to.

So basically the Imagelevel backup from the C:-Drive and the additional vmware file, but not the vmdk's of drive D: and E:.

So for example:

VADP-TEST.nvram-----> Backup

VADP-TEST.vmdk-----> Backup

VADP-TEST.vmsd-----> Backup

VADP-TEST.vmx-----> Backup

VADP-TESTvmxf-----> Backup

VADP-TEST_1.vmdk-----> No Backup

VADP-TEST_2.vmdk-----> No Backup

736 Posts

November 4th, 2011 05:00

Hi Antoine,

I don't really understand what you're trying to backup here.  The options available to you are the following:

"In the Backup Type section, specify the desired backup:

• Image level backup (this is equivalent to saveset *FULL*).

• Backup all files (this is equivalent to saveset ALLVMFS).

• Backup Specific files and folders.

– To specify a file or directory for backup such as C: drive, enter c:\ or c\.

– To back up a specified directory, such as Documents and Settings, enter

c:\Documents and Settings.

Note: Due to limits with VADP, only one entry is allowed for the Save Set attribute."

Do none of these cover what you want to do?

-Bobby

736 Posts

November 4th, 2011 07:00

Hi,

The only way I can think of to do it would be to use a local directive in the D:\ and E:\ called the 'null' directive which:

From Administration Guide - page 179:

"Does not back up the specified files, but does back up the directory containing the files so entries for the files get added to the online indexes. The NetWorker server uses this ASM to back up the online indexes during a scheduled backup."

I'm not sure if this would work but you could try it. 

Maybe someone else has a better way of doing this.

-Bobby

No Events found!