Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2014 12:00

VADP Behavior in networker 8.1sp1

Hello all!

We have had several changes to our environment in the last few months that weren't directly related to Networker, and an upgrade to Networker 8.1sp1 from 8.0sp2. I am now running into issues related to VADP backups. I have seen some odd behavior within Netwokrer, and im trying to find out whats "normal" in 8.1sp1.

We are not utilizing the new VADP appliance VMDK at this time. We have VADP proxy's.

in the past It's been typical for me to see backup speeds of 20-30MBps to our data domain box. However, i have been finding backups dragging in sub 1MBps levels.

Also in the past, if i watched the activity on VSphere (5.1) i would see the snapshot happen. then a change in configuration would be visible and i could see the disk be mounted onto our VADP proxy.

Now, we are using Vsphere 5.5 and networker 8.1sp1. I see the snapshot happen, then data on the proxy (if i check c:\mnt), but no mounting of the HDD. I believe that is "hotadd"? Is this normal behavior or is my configuration ignoring the hotadd settings?

Also, my backup speed increases from 4ish MBps to 15ish MBps if i turn off FLR. that's not typically something i would care to do.

This has occurred in our two separate sites (one datazone) each with their own SAN, vadp proxy and Data domain box, so i truly believe this is related to my Networker upgrade.

any insight or pointers would be appreciated!

March 25th, 2014 07:00

Well.... this was unfortunately a case of RTFM. Page 96 of the VMware integration guide states the following. As I have made these adjustments, im now backing up my test system at 100MBps. back to normal

"You must perform the following prerequisites on the NetWorker server/proxy machine in order to run vSphere 5.5: 1. Since the registry key for SSL verification is not set by default, add the following keypath in the registry:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/VMware, Inc./VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit' Add a DWORD VerifySSLCertificates and set it to zero ('VerifySSLCertificates=0').

This will disable SSL verification for all VDDK hotadd operations. 2. Install .NET framework 3.5.1 or later on the proxy. In Windows 2008 R2, even though the .NET framework is bundled with the operating system, ensure that you enable the framework under Server Manager-> features. 3. Install VC++ runtime 9.0 (VC++2008 SP1) on the proxy.

The following link provides more details: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2092

268 Posts

March 25th, 2014 03:00

NetWorker 8.1 SP1 release notes doesn't say anything specific about the changes on VADP.

Have you tried changing the transport modes and tested backup?

Usually FLR backups are slower and takes more time compared to non FLR backups.

Regards,
Prajith

No Events found!