Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2012 10:00

VADP Proxy Requirements

I have a new DD 670 with 1 Networker Server (VM).  I want to setup a proxy machine and i'm confused on a couple of key items. Mainly how the snapshot takes place and where it resdies.

I thought when you take a snapshot of the VM it will be placed on the LUN where the VM config file sits for that VM. Even if you have multiple virtual disks on different luns the snap shot will reside on the main VM config file area of that VM.

Now i've heard that the proxy machine actually needs to be presented a new LUN where the snapshots can sit during the process and I've also heard the Proxy machine could be the target disk or "holding tank" itself for the snapshots. 

Can someone please explain the process to me? I want to make sure i setup this proxy vm correctly.  By default my new VM will see all LUNS on our SAN.

Thank you

736 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 23:00

Hi,

the snapshots are on the datastore where the VM configuration files are.  You should keep at least 20% free space on the datastore to manage this.   I think the confusion you have comes from the fact that it was different under the older VCB framework than it is now under the VADP system.

You should consult the NetWorker VMWare Integration Guide for full details on how best to plan your enviornment (see VADP Planning and Best Practices chapter)

-Bobby

128 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Like Bobby says, snapshots take place at datastore. But proxy needs a mount point (a folder in hard disk) to operate like a buffer to Networker Server (NW Server backups proxy machine as Networker client). If you follow the wizard to configure VADP Proxy, at some point it requires a definition to that mount point.

Regards

Claudio

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

February 26th, 2012 12:00

correct if this is answer

asave group with special command nsrvadp_vss_save  at will run for the cleint VM with defined proxy VADP in the networker. the proxy will instruct vcentre to crate snap shots and take images on mount points c:\mnt five

at each time and grow the images pointoer witj time and write the proxy to networker since itis sotrage node

YOU ARE TOTALLY WRITE , the Vcenteirtual  will create snapshot for the VM by making a file in the Vmfs with -deltasnapshot.vmdk this file is about 1-5 % of the Virtual machine.

32 Posts

February 29th, 2012 09:00

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was getting confused regarding VCB to VADP framework. I actually had a EMC tech onsite with our implementation of Networker and DD.  Your help gave me the knowledge to understand what was going on.

Thanks

No Events found!