Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2015 06:00

VMware Intelligent Policies

Hi everyone,

Not looking for a flame war, just some advice and guidance from Networker Gurus such as yourselves...

Symantec's Netbackup has a feature for VMware, called Intelligent policies (VIPs), which is basically an SQL select statement against vcenter to allocate specific VMs to a backup policy based on name, datastore, or custom attributes etc.

This feature is particular handy in an automated environment, as the backup VIP can be set up in advance, and any VM's being auto-magically created with certain attributes are automatically picked up at scheduled run time and protected according to the policy.

From everything I've read about VADP and VBAs in Networker, I was wondering if something similar was possible?

I see there are protection policies, but these seem to be defining the end to end steps, e.g. backup to this location with this retention, then clone to here.

Are there any command line options that could assign a newly created VM to a protection policy? This would certainly help from an automation side of things.

Many Thanks in Advance for any assistance

Phil

73 Posts

July 7th, 2015 08:00

You are able to assign a pool, host, datacenter or folder to a backup policy.  Any newly created VM will automatically be added to backups.  Any VM moved elsewhere will be excluded.

Another option is Visual representation of the vSphere environment in networker administration.  You see what VMs are in which policy, can make changes and easily view unprotected VMs.  Not sure about command line options.

9 Posts

July 9th, 2015 06:00

Hi Ryan

Many thanks for your response.

I think being able to assign a specific folder to a backup policy will allow us to do what we want, especially if we had different VM folders for different levels of protection, e.g. longer retention, cloning etc.

Cheers

Phil

No Events found!