Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2010 20:00

VSS Error {Please its very urgnet}

Hi all,

I am getting VSS Error only on DRIVES.

Remaining save set are completed successfuly every day only C & E drives are failing : with following error:

VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\

VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\

VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\

VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\

VSS USER DATA:\

VSS OTHER:\

VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\     full       1280341950    7          1 retry attempted

VSS SYSTEM FILESET: ERROR: VSS failed to add comps in pre save, writer=System Writer, error=0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.

39078:save: RPC error: RPC cannot encode arguments

7162:save: save of VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ to failed

C:\       incr      1280341870    44        1 retry attempted

ERROR: VSS failed to initialize for directives, error=0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.

7154:save: Unable to set up VSS filesystem directives. Failed to back up C:\.

E:\        incr      1280341869    44        1 retry attempted

ERROR: VSS failed to initialize for directives, error=0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.

7154:save: Unable to set up VSS filesystem directives. Failed to back up E:\.

I need permanent solution for this please help me.

Thanks in Advance

56 Posts

July 28th, 2010 23:00

Hi Changalrai,

Would you please specify your Operating System version and the NetWorker version you are using ?

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

25 Posts

July 28th, 2010 23:00

it seems you have incorrect status of the VSS Writers

check status using vssadmin list writers , make sure they are in stable state

if not restart the following Windows services:

"COM+ Event System"
"Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider "
"Volume Shadow Copy"

July 29th, 2010 00:00

Hello all,

This is a known issue when, more likely because of an un-installation of any software, there are some entries left on the registry pointing still to those files. When VSS service starts up it's looking for those files. As VSS cannot find those files, because they were removed byt the un-installation of the software then you get that error message.

There are 2 internal Escalations for this issue, depending on the OS of your Networker Server and the Networker software Version and build.

Please let us know this informaiton and I'll provide you with the fix for it.

Is this a clustered environment? I guess this is a Windows 2008 client, is it Windows 20008 R2?

Thank you.

Carlos.

100 Posts

July 29th, 2010 01:00

Hi carlos,

Operating system : windows server 2003

networker : version : 7.4.2

my question is : vss system state, system files got successfuly completed except only drives.

if you guys are clear me, its more helpful for my work...

Thanks in Advance.

87 Posts

July 29th, 2010 06:00

hello,

field specified in the Operations save VSS: *= OFF, client

also when you restart the server.

July 29th, 2010 07:00

Hi again,

I believe the O.S. you specified is from the NW server, not from the client as this is a known issue on Windows 2008 clients, not Windows 2003.

I would suggest you to upgrade at least to 7.4.5.9 in order to solve the issue and then, as per NW00104920, NW00105567 and NW115455.

Modify the "Backup command" box in the Apps & Modules tab of the  client resource.  It should contain the string ...  save -a  '"ignore-all-missing-system-files=yes"'  ... the text string  ignore-all-missing-system-files=yes has no spaces, uses dashes and is  quoted with:  single-quote, double-quote, text, double-quote,  single-quote.

Plesae remember that this is a MS issue, not Networker issue, as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955078 Networker has just developed a workaround to avoid that knwon issue. You can always perfoem a registry clean up and that definitely will fix your issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you.

Carlos.

88 Posts

July 29th, 2010 12:00

Hi changalrai - Can you please confirm the OS version and the NW version of the failing client.

Thanks

100 Posts

July 30th, 2010 01:00

Hi All,

Networker client version: 7.4.2

Version: NetWorker 7.4.2.Build.438 Enterprise Edition
client OS : Windows 2003

88 Posts

July 30th, 2010 07:00

Hello - Thanks for this

Since the client is at 7.4.2, as per Carlos's reccommendation, you want to have the 7.4.5.9 patch applied to the client.

Please review the details of Carlos's reccomendation above.

Can you please confirm if your Windows box is ia64, x64 or x86 ? In the mean time I will upload all 3 bit versions to an ftp location for you.

This post will be updated with the location once the binaries have been completely uploaded.

Thanks.

John

88 Posts

July 30th, 2010 09:00

Hello,

NW 7.4.5.9 (build 804) for Windows may be downloaded from the following ftp location ftp.emc.com/outgoing/nw7459_win/

Thanks.

5 Posts

July 13th, 2011 01:00

Hi ,

Please run a client initiated backup with Debug mode 3 for the failing drives. Please read the last 10-15 lines when this command finish with whatever status.

In those 10-15 lines you will find the exact path where the backup is failing . Then please check the below things :

1) Check if the directory exists if not then please create a temporary empty directory with the same or clear the registry using registry cleaning tool

2) It may be the path is not accessible if the server is a part of cluster so please try to access the particular directory.

3) Please check if the failing path is a part of any DFS mount path .

4) More over please check the event logs once the backups get completes.

By this way you will easily find the direction to fix the vss errors..

Thanks

No Events found!