Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2011 14:00

VSS System Services backup failure on 7.5.2 vss

I'm running 7.5.2 and I get the following error on my windows 2008 servers

* .EDU:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ savegrp: suppressed 4 lines of output.
* EDU:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\
* .EDU:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ Windows Internal Database - ERROR: Failed to save FileGroup files, writer = SqlServerWriter
* EDU:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ Windows Internal Database - Error saving writer Windows Internal Database
* EDU:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ Windows Internal Database - ERROR: Aborting backup of saveset VSS SYSTEM SERVICES: because of the error with writer Windows Internal Database.
* EDU:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ Windows Internal Database - Error saving
* EDU:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ 7162:save: save of VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed

I saw the part where it was suggested to change the saveset to all-nfts as a way to disable backing up the VSS stuff.  However, we would like to have that information in the backups as well.  I'm looking for a way to fix the problem of VSS backups. 

thanks

186 Posts

May 3rd, 2011 00:00

you could run a pnpc script to get the client to backup it's self and then pickup the system state backup file and back that up. then have the pnpc script to continue the backup of the server. just   means you would have to control this backup via a script V's the console.

or

set an AT job for the server to backup it's self to local disk and then you could control the job through the networker admin console.

14.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2011 04:00

Typical issue with Windows internal database is usually when they have double backslash in path.  In such case you would need to deattach database and attach it back again with correct path.  I believe there is even an article on that subject and has been discussed on forums at least once or twice.  It is hard to say if this is exactly your problem from the log posted, but you could easily verify that with some debug save from client side.

No Events found!