This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 19th, 2013 10:00

Vmware Backups w /Networker using DDBoost

Hi,

We have a customer that backups their Vmware environment by TSM but has just been convinced by us to manage the related environment by Networker rather than TSM. Related customer has DD990 as their main target.

As we’ve started the discussions before installation of Networker, network admins has involved into the project.  They are wondering about the impact of our new backup mentality on their network infrastructure. Costumer’s Vmware is totally on 10g network. Networker server will be AiX.

·         Does anyone has example or solid results for Vmware backup performance in case of Networker w DD Boost over 10g to DD990?  Dedup rates are also needed.

·         The most important question is based on the example below :

Example : Customer has 2 ESX hosts.  ESX1 and ESX2. vCenter is on ESX2. There is no Virtual Proxy on ESX1. When I want to backup a VM (on ESX 1) that has 10 GB data on it and daily change rate is %10  :

§  How much data will flow thru the network? Do we send data from proxy to DD? If yes, how much data would It be? As big as the snapshot size?

§  Do we send data directly from Virtual Machine to DD? If yes, how much would It be? As big as the change rate? Any dedup benefit?

Thanks,

14.3K Posts

March 19th, 2013 15:00

I can't give you concrete example, but dedupe ratios with VMs have always been good.  With 10Gbps in place, you should not see any issues at all. You didn't say if you use NFS or FC storage or mixed, but I guess you will use network protocol to transfer vm snapshot to proxy and from there to DD.  VM->DD I believe is something on roadmap, but whether "now" or later I can't tell.  If now, except to see it announced between April and EMC World 2013 in May.

Btw, will you use AIX as media server?  Because PowerPC CPU architecture sucks a bit in how it delivers when it comes to boost algorithm.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 19th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

There is no media server, backup server will be AiX.

We will definitely use network for the whole operation. Network infrast. is 10g.

Thanks

Ender Bozanoglu

Sent via BlackBerry

No Events found!