Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2013 03:00

Volume shows as expired

Hello,

i need your help to the below

we had a problem where one of the volumes was getting full almost every month, while on other B&Rs they cannot see such a fast increase in their devices volumes.

I run an OH that I found for that in order to Delete old savesets and recover the space of the volume as shown below

1- deleting savesets
2- nsrmm -o notfull  brsthw01.002
3- nsrmm -o notreadonly  brsthw01.002
4- nsrmm -o recyclable  brsthw01.002
5- nsrstage -C -V   brsthw01.002
6- nsrmm -m -f /nsrstore1 brsthw01.002

The questions are :

-if these steps have to be done to brsthw01.001 in order the OH to work and if yes to confirm that they will not lose any saveset other than the ones we deleted manually.

-And the most important question is that after steps 3,4,5 when executing mminfo –av –m command we can see that the volume is appendable but expired? What does this mean?Is this a problem and how we can change it without lose any of the backups?

Thank you in advance

Anna

September 26th, 2013 19:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and questions can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "NetWorker Support Forum"

2.4K Posts

September 27th, 2013 04:00

You are obviously talking about tape volumes. As it is a sequentially used media, you can just regain space on such volumes if you relabel them (nsrmm -l or nsrmm -R). Of course, if it still contains valid save sets, you should first migrate them (nsrstage) or clone them (nsrclone).

A volume which is appendable and expired is normal. It just has not been completely used but all its save sets have exceeded their retention date.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 30th, 2013 00:00

I'm not sure she is talking about tapes - see step 6 she listed - this could good old file device (not advanced one). The steps listed are nonsense from the point of view of what you are trying to achieve.  So, back to square one.  You have device (volume) which filled up.  Verify it via OS that this is really the case and if this is file device, verify which value for volume size this volume is using (can be changed only with labeling).  Deleting data won't help here as you are creating data loss (otherwise, just decrease retention policy or make no backups - it will do the same).

No Events found!