Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2011 07:00

What exactly to Index tapes do-do I need them for every group?

Sorry if this is very obvious, but I cant dig up the info on this.

If I have serverA and its in GroupA - Do I need index tapes made for this server/group?

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

December 27th, 2011 00:00

Hi,

You can store index (CFI and media database) to an index tape. CFI is used for browsable recovery and index tape is used to recover. If the index tape is missing, you need to load without mount the data tape (not the index tape) and run scanner to rebuild CFI and media database entries.

Regards,

Tim

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 10th, 2012 07:00

@fperino

What exactly is index tape in your case?

@TimQuan

What you describe (load without mount) is in case that volume is missing from media database and not data from index database.

For the sake of the argument, I will assume here that index tape belongs to index pool which picks up index and bootstrap backup(s).  In such case, backups of these savesets will be directed to this pool.

From there you have two approaches:

a) each group, once done, it will save index to that pool

b) each group, once done, will not save index to that pool, but this is handled by ad hoc or schedule index backup

b) can be achieved with no index save on group properties, but you must make sure you have both index and bootstrap in interval which pleases you (I use that approach for example where I save indices once per day and bootstrap 6 times).

January 10th, 2012 23:00

hello,

The NetWorker server tracks the files(data) that  are getting backedup, in  to two databases which are stored on the local file system of the  networker server:

1)The media database tracks:

• Volume name

• Backup dates of the save sets on the volume

• File systems in each save set

2) The client file index :

-There is one client file index created  for each client. This will tracks the files that belong to a save set. The files reside on the NetWorker server.

-The client file index for a NetWorker client is backed up every time the client is backed up.

The media database and the resource database is backed up whenever the NetWorker server is backed up, or after every scheduled backup if the server is not in an active group.

No Events found!