Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2008 01:00

adding new storage node on Networke 7.4SP1

Hi,

We have recently upgraded from Networker for Linux 7.2.1 to 7.4.1. I have installed a new dedicated storage node 7.4.2 on Linux RedHat 5 - should be supported by DSN SP2 according to Release Notes. I can see this DSN in the GUI of the NMC under Storage Nodes. The first step in Networker 7.2.1 was "jbedit -a", but now it complains about the library name, elemen number and device path to be given on the command line in parameters. The DSN sees the device with "inquire". When I run:
"jbedit -a -f rd=DSNname:/dev/nst0 -j jukeboxname -E 539"
it shouts about 39078:jbedit: RAP error: Cannot find device 'rd=DSNName...' in 'unconfig device names' resource.

How should I add this device to the jukebox?

Our environment is:
Networker Server on Linux RedHat 3
2x FalconStor VTL
bunch of Dedicated Storage Nodes (Linux RedHat/Windows/Solaris) with devices over FC. The devices are not shared, each DSN gets its own virtual device from the VTL.

Thanks in advance,
Bartosz
PS I am not sure if we have enough licenses. How can I see how many free licenses are left? Or should I see any error message somewhere like "Trying to register DSN - not enough licenses"?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 16th, 2008 02:00

Easy way - rerun jbconfig

jbedit is ok too, but I would run it from DSN. Do scan for devices from GUI before for that host to make sure NW is aware of that device. Actually scan is a bad idea because you can't say device would be dedicated one (I have RFE for that :D). You could define device as standalone and dedicated one and then add it with jbedit.

Anyway, to make it easier, rerun jbconfig (remove previous library definition before). If you don't have enough licenses you will see failure. Also make sure you add admin from DSN to admin list.

10 Posts

May 16th, 2008 04:00

"remove previous definition of library" / "rerun jbconfig"

I'm sorry but I am kind of fed up with this reconfiuring. We have two libraries and about 20-30 virtual devices in each for each storage node. We are adding and removing storage nodes quite often lately and I really don't understand this stupid way of reconfiguring the WHOLE library just because one device disappeared or appeared. What kind of software is this? It should be alpha version of some freeware software which behaves like this and not a serious software bought for lots of cash...

Is this the only way? ? ?

Bartosz

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 16th, 2008 04:00

Well, you could always script that and have jb thing under second... In your case, you should use jbedit then in a way how I explained or via GUI with reconfigure option as explained in administration guide. The software is very good and you do not need to reconfigure whole library at all - I just told you that based on your initial message which did not explain your whole background.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2008 04:00

As all suggested try reconfig the storage node first and then configure devices on that storage node. But these problems (devices goes missing or change their order) is due to binding errors. Networker requires that there should be persistant binding and also the Removable storage services be disabled (only in case of windows).
Regarding checking the no of licenses you have either use nsrlic -v or in NMC goto Registration and check details on right hand side.

10 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 01:00

I have added 4 new dedicated storage licenses and now when running jbedit -a -f ... -j ... -E 539 I get "storage node enabler required". No matter if on networker server or on the storage node. nsrlic -v says virtually NOTHING about (dedicated) storage node licenses. It gives only number of client licenses and there are 6 remaining.

So could you please give me the exact command(s) including parameters which I should run to add these device from the new storage node to the jukebox not reconfiguring the jukebox?

What exactly does "try reconfig the storage node first and then configure devices on that storage node" mean? Particularly "on that storage node"?

Here is also something more about my background what I wrote to the EMC support (and they're also suggesting jbconfig...):

"We have two VTLs simulating our physical StorageTek L700 libraries. The simulated libraries are attached via FibreChannel as SCSI devices. When I run "jbconfig" on the Networker Server and choose option 2 "Configure autodetected SCSI Jukebox" it says "All the jukeboxes that are connected are already configured. No new jukeboxes found." When I choose optin 4) Configure an SJI Jukebox it starts configurin A NEW!!! library. Which I don't think is the correct aproach.

When I run the jbconfig on the storage node with -s and choose option 2) it says "There appear to be no SCSI jukeboxes connected to this system".
"

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2008 08:00

Since you had EMC call open I really can't see why you didn't ask them to do it for you.

The issue you have with jbedit is that you wish to add devices as dedicated ones for storage node (at least that's the license you have added) and there is no option to specify that via jbedit. Same applies to GUI method. Workaround is obviously to define device as standlone and via properties change it to dedicated one. Then adding to library via jbedit should work. Not sure if you can change this via GUI when device appears as unconfigured one - if yes, that would be another approach.

As I said before, if I were you I would do it very very simple - create jbconfig script and then (after first jbconfig) any change after make reconfiguration do be done below 1 second. But I guess EMC support would not tell you that.

What you get under 2) is normal as jbconfig is used to configure and not to reconfigure. With jbconfig you would need to remove library first (and devices even that is not mandatory) and then run jbconfig. jbconfig should be run only from host which control librray.

Don't get me wrong, but you seem to be very new to NW world. It is very simple, but each start might look hard. Talk to your support and let them do it for you - watch and learn.
No Events found!