Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

9 Posts

April 12th, 2021 01:00

backup coverage rate

Hi everyone,

I want to calculate the backup coverage rate using command line interface of Networker.

Can you provide me the correct way of doing this even if it needs the usage of external linux commands.

Thanks.

2.4K Posts

April 12th, 2021 03:00

I guess that, if you talk about calculation, you just want to measure the true data throughput a backup achieves.

If the backup is still running, nsrwatch will show you the actual transfer rate but of course it will 'jump' extremely depending on the phase of the backup.

For a terminated save set, you need to query the media database for the appropriate parameters. If you look at

• sumsize(25)        25 should be large enough to display the save set size to the byte
  • savetime             will return the start time (default format)    or
  • nsavetime           will return the start time (UNIX Epoch time)     or
  • sscreate(20)       will return the start time (default format)
  • sscomp(20)        will return the stop date (default format)

you have all the necessary values. Finally, calculate the throughput.

Of course you can also check the logs but this will even be more difficult.

9 Posts

April 12th, 2021 04:00

bingo.1 thanks for the answer. You mentioned about how to calculate the throughput.

But by "backup coverage rate" what I mean is system coverage.

Actually I dont know what it means the "system coverage".

My first guess  is (lets say there are 10 clients connected to the networker server and we only take backup 3 of them):

•  (number of clients that are backed up) / (total number of clients)

My second guess is:

• For each client
    • (backup_size for that client) / (total client size) = client coverage
  • Sum of all client coverages

I dont know which one is correct or these 2 guesses are totally wrong.

April 12th, 2021 05:00

I might miss some better context here?

Is it now actually clear to yourself what you are supposed to show? So what is that "backup coverage rate" supposed to tell you? Give a simple example of what you'd like to see?

Only then someone would be able to state which commands might be used to get the required information.

2.4K Posts

April 12th, 2021 05:00

Actually, if I would think about the terms "system coverage" or "system coverage rate" I would think about the system itself..

So in my eyes I would look at the 'system load' - in other words: how much are the system resources (CPU, RAM etc.) used. And this is where system monitoring tools will help.

9 Posts

April 14th, 2021 06:00

I thought that "system coverage rate" is a common term for the backup community. I was not sure the meaning of the term either, that is why I asked. Thanks for the replies.

No Events found!